Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Popularity of hexagon quilts >

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I use the wadding as a template and quilt each piece before I join it to the rest. It is a quilt as you go project and is finished when I decide to stop making the hexagon 'tiles'.
I would be very interested in seeing a picture of what you are doing. I have just finished 2 GFG quilts for 2 DGS's wedding gifts, and am seeing 2 more weddings in the near future. Would like to do GFG for them also, but time may be a problem. (they take forever!!) Maybe GAYG would be faster? Perhaps you could explain how you go about this method. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 AM

I have made several GFG quilts and have hand sewn the hexagons together without problems. The EPP is too involved for me right now. I have no problem "eyeballing" the 1/4 inch seam. It comes with practice. Learning to get the corners to come out nice takes a little practice, too. Hexagons are one of my favorite shapes to use in piecing because you can do so many things with them. I have the half-hexi ruler but I prefer not having the seam in the middle of the hexi. I cut mine from strips using the hexagon template to cut the edges.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 PM

I go here: http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat...ml?startRow=49
They have all shape and sizes avaialble for free. I just use card stock paper in my printer and print whatever I want out, then cut along the lines.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM

I tried the EPP technique but opted to sew on my sewing machine. I have completed my king-size GFG quilt top that has 77 different color flowers. My husband bought me an Ulmer quilt frame for my birthday this month. I am now in the process of hand quilting each hexagon. This has been a labor of love. I hope to have it finished to enter in our 2013 quilt show this coming April. The Ulmer quilt frame is making the quilting so much easier. I sit in front on the TV and quilt away, so much fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails ulmer-quilt-frame.jpg   grandmothers.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM

I have a set of hexagon templates, have only used the smallest one to make a purse, came out cute. I don't paper piece, I just machine stitched em.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM

This is the queen size GFG I made using the paper hexigons. I had only been quilting for a year when I decided to try this! It was so easy and so relaxing basting the fabric onto the papers, then sewing the hexis together into flowers. Mine took 6 months to complete the flowers, then another 6 months to hand quilt it (the one and only time I've hand quilted!). If you're unsure if you like English Paper Piecing, try making a small project, like a table runner, before committing to a big quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352617[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden-finished.jpg   close-up-basted-blocks.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 PM

I am currently working on my first gfg and I am doing the English paper piecing. I free my template on index cards, they are cheap, and I am basting through the paper. Love the process but next time I thimk I am going to baste without going through papers. it is very time consuming removing baste stitches and all papers. Found some great videos on you tube...
Old 07-31-2012, 05:00 AM

calmarek. Your quilt is beautiful. I love the soft colors, the white paths, and the soft green border . Makes it such a calm, and peaceful quilt. I have used a darker green for paths on my GFG quilts, but I am leaning towards the softness of the white. There are many in the "gallery" done with white, and I do like the look so much.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by calmarek View Post
This is the queen size GFG I made using the paper hexigons. I had only been quilting for a year when I decided to try this! It was so easy and so relaxing basting the fabric onto the papers, then sewing the hexis together into flowers. Mine took 6 months to complete the flowers, then another 6 months to hand quilt it (the one and only time I've hand quilted!). If you're unsure if you like English Paper Piecing, try making a small project, like a table runner, before committing to a big quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352617[/ATTACH]
OMG! What a beautiful quilt! You sure jumped in with both feet, didn't you? This is a stunner!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 AM

love the christmas tablerunner!