Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these? >

Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these?

Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
They're all too small for me (and bulky to store and expensive!!) I use a king size flat flannel sheet. I often pin it to the curtains, but it could be tacked to the wall, too, or hung on a curtain rod.
What a great idea. The kitties decided my flannel backed tablecloth was a great toy and tore it up. I have lots of flannel sheets and they're bigger than the tablecloth. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:35 AM

Default Design Wall

Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
I was at the MQS show this week and saw these. I hadn't seen them before. I have to admit I thought they were pretty clever. I was curious if anyone on here had one and what they thought about them.

http://stores.palsproducts.com/-strs...ith/Detail.bok
I have the 36-inch one. It fits perfectly on my brick fireplace seating area. Out of the way and I can move pieces about to view colors. Have a large hexagon draped over it now. For my class, we bought the largest one. Don't use it often, but it's perfect for arranging blocks for a full-sized quilt.

Both are a good investment. Love the 36-inch one. Use it all the time and it fits so nicely into its bag that I can store it on a shelf. When space is at a premium, that's important.

SandyQuilter
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I purchased 2 large pieces of foam board 4x6. Cut each piece into 4x3 pieces and taped the front with clear shipping tape so I can fold. Cover the front with flannel. I hang them on my curtain rod with pant hangers or I can lay it across my bed. It's lightweight and very portable. About $30.00. What is nice about it also is that I can adjust the size. I purchase another piece at a yard sale for 1.00 but will cut it down to size. It will adjust to a king by the time I'm done.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 AM

I have a Fons and Porter Design wall which is a big piece of fleece on one side and vinyl on the other with squares on it which you can see from the fleece side. I love it since I can hang it when I need to use it and take it down, fold it up and put it away when I'm not. With a 50% coupon at JoAnn's it was really cheap and is exactly what I need.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Oh my, that's a little pricey!! It looks like an old movie screen that people used to have for showing home movies. I think I could adapt an old screen without too much difficulty. But, it really isn't large enough for a bed sized quilt... only a wall hanging. I guess I'd just hang a piece of flannel on a curtain for that.

Sorry I'm sounding a little negative..... just seems like it wouldn't fit my needs and too much $$ for what it is.
I agree ...I made one with a cardboard fold out and quilt batting. I placed a few metal shower rings through the top and hung it with a dowel rod. Works like a charm for about $5.00 ...
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM

I made a design "wall" with cardboard bolt centers I got for free at a quilt store. You need six that are alike, which can be hard to do. Maybe some nice quilt store lady would save some of the same kind for you.

I laid three of them side by side, and secured that with duct tape. Then I put the other three on top the other way. Taped that and taped the two layers together. I made a "pillowcase" cover for this of flannel, light on one side and dark on the other. (I've never used the dark side. LOL) When I pulled the cover on, I was expecting to sew the opening closed by hand, but I was in a hurry, so I pulled the edges together and pushed macrame pins into the ends of the cardboard through the flannel. That was about six years ago and the macrame pins are still there, still holding the cover closed. Works fine.

At one time, I took the cover off to wash and put a layer of thin batting on the cardboard before the cover went back on. That could be glued on. That makes it easier to put a pin into something if needed.

I use this thing a lot, even if it is only about 22 inches square. It goes with me when I need to give a demo, and it sits on my sewing table at a small slant to audition blocks, or just to display something I've made, like a practice block I'm thinking of making more of.....someday? ? ?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 AM

I purchased a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth and placed it on the wall. I put grommets in the corners to hang it so it can be taken down and folded up when going someplace and you need to take it with you. Works great and it is very inexpensive.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a Vanishing Design Wall that hangs over my closet doors. My sewing room is plum full. It's encased by a 5" wooden stained box. I just tug on the edge of the flannel design wall and down it comes. I leave my blocks on the design wall at all times, even when I roll it up. When I'm done with it, I tug on the bottom of it and it rolls back up into the wooden box. I love it. It's my favorite item I've boughten. You can see it here: www.vanishingdesignwall.com
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM

I have a different stand that I purchased and wish that I hadn't as it is terrible to work with, My friend bought a fannel backed tablecloth and hung it on her door frames and that works a lot better.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM

I did the foam board from Home Depot and fleece over a full wall in my quilt/guest room. Cheap and works quite well.