Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: portable sewing tables

Blog Entries
    I have the sew-ezi !!! Love it. I have had it for years and haul it all over the place... also use it at home so I have a level surface to sew on. Have not heard or seen the other ones so I cannot compare.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    I have the Gidget 1 and, like another poster said above, I don't really consider it portable. I have my main sewing machine set up in it. It would be pretty heavy to haul anywhere, though.

I've looked at the Sew Ezi online and that one certainly seems more portable, because it has the wheels and the case, and I think it's plastic, isn't it? The Gidget is wood and metal.
    Personally, I wouldn't consider taking any of them out of the house! :)

I bought 2 of those folding Lifetime tables approx 24" x 18". The can be adjusted to one of 3 different heights. Got mine on sale: 1 @ Costco/Sam's club and 1 @ an office supply store. Less than $30 each.

I find I don't usually use an extention table when I sew/quilt. But, I went to a local plastics company and they cut me a table top that fits perfectly around my machine. I had to make my own template so I made a pattern out of layers of freezer paper ironed together [stronger than brown paper] and then took that to them. I will take that to a retreat, but don't go as much as I'd want to. Darn.

ali

I have the Sew-Ezi table and I absolutely LOVE it. I got 2 inserts, one for my Elna and one for my Bernina. The wheels make it especially handy to take along to retreats, plus I used 2 wooden TV trays, one to make a portable cutting table (I used double stick tape to secure a small cutting mat) and the other to make an ironing table to take with me too. I just bungie them to the outside of the Sew-Ezi and wheel them along with me wherever I go sewing. It is extremely sturdy and very roomy. I've only seen pictures of the Gidget, but the machine sits in the middle of the table and doesn't seem to allow much room to the left of the needle for your project.
    Right now, I have my Sew-Ezi set up in the living room to sew, since it's too hot to sew in my sewing room. It doesn't take up much room, it's easy to move to clean around...can you tell I love my Sew-Ezi??? LOL

Love, love, love my Sew-Ez!!!

Blog Entries
    My friend bought the sew-ez table and she loves it. I was sewing at her home yesterday and used her table and machine to try it out. It also has an insert for her specific machine. It's great. No shaking or movement from the table at all. It rolls to move it when you have to take it along somewhere and it comes with a case to protect it. It's a great little table and just the right amount of portable space to tote along with you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    The portable tables I've used are the wooden snack tray tables that come in a set of 4 for about $40 and the light weight folding picnic type tables that are about the same price for 5 or 6 ft table.
    What I've found that I like even better are the school desk type tables that are about 4 ft x 18". The legs are adjustable and they are quite sturdy, even if a bit worn from being in a school classroom for however long. I found mine at a yard sale from someone who got them in bulk at auction when the school replaced them with new ones. He was selling them 4 for $30. I convinced him to let me have 2 for $15. Then went back a few weeks later and got 2 more for use elsewhere.
    Do you have pics of your folding pinic table or the school table? I think I know what to look for, but I'm not sure.

sauder sewing cabinet table Is what I am going to buy for myself. You can get it at Walmart or Target

In the video, you can see the table wiggle when she touches it.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    Quote Originally Posted by montanajan
    I'd like to see a pic of the sew-ez and gidget.
    The Sew-EZ
    http://www.seweziusa.com/photo.html

The Gidget
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/sewingtable2.htm

I have the Janome table, similar to the Gidget, got it with my 6600 ... it doesn't move or vibrate even with the 6600's speed. I love having the machine inset in the table, it's almost as good as a custom cabinet and MUCH less $$ !

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    I have a friend who got the sew-ez table and she LOVES it. I like to use a sturdy tv tray or folding table when I go on retreat; I set it up perpendicular to the table my machine is on.
    I've had my sew-ez table for about 5 years. Love it, love it. It's especially nice for short people. I'm 4"10" and it's a great height for me.

I have the sew-ez. Love it. The only thing I can say is that if your bobbin is in the bottom front of machine, you have to move the table to get at it.

If you can get to a Quilt Festival (we go to Houston every year), the shipping is free. My friend has one with wheels and she loves it. I plan to look at them in November.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    I use a plastic craft table - it's about 18"x30" - that folds up. It is available at a lot of stores for an inexpensive amount. To keep my machine from 'walking' off the table I put a piece of shelf liner under it. This is lighter and more portable than what I had previously. And it perfect for my machine.
    Where did you find your craft table and about how much are they? Would a Hobby Lobby or Joanns have such a thing. It sounds about the right size for taking my machine upstairs to sew for a while - my sewing area is in the basement now and I'd like to find a small sturdy table to be able to take it upstairs from time to time. Thanks.

The Sew-EZI USA table has wheels on one end....when the table is closed, there is a slot in one end for a handle and the wheels are on the other end. Rolls very easily. I love mine!

I have a Sew-Ezi table and have taken it several times to retreats. It's very sturdy, easy to transport and set-up. I wanted a table where my machine would sit low and then a custom insert would allow me to have a flat surface to sew on. It's a great alternative to large sewing cabinets. I have limited space, so the Sew-Ezi is perfect for me.

I went to an annual quilting retreat a couple of weeks ago.
    Three or four people there had the Sew-Ezi tables and I can tell you that I now have added that to my long "must-have-someday" list. They all loved their tables.

Blog Entries
    My sister has one, but I don't know which it is. She has a very small space to work in, and she seems to be very happy with it. But she isn't a quilter.

My girlfriend loves hers. I use the 6' tables from home depot and lowes and like them bunches.

I saw the 'Gidget' for under $100 online http://www.google.com/products/catal...344&os=sellers
    The SewEZ is over twice as much, although it is nice!
    Are any made in the USA or any friendly country like Australia? That's important to me - but often not possible. If you have a featherweight, someone in IL is making a replica of the original folding card table. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...nd_tables.html
    I saw it advertised in Quiltmaker Magazine. I have an original and love it for my Featherweight...

I have a Sew Ezi and love it. It serves as my everyday sewing table and also goes with me when I travel. I have Featherweight and Bernina acrylic inserts. The only problem is in adjusting for machine height when I change from one to the other. I find the height adjusters time consuming and a hassle. Sooo, I have the height set for the Bernina and put a D/FW phone book under the Featherweight when I use it--problem solved! I purchased a floor model at the end of a quilt show; the dealer did not want to haul it back to CA after. I believe I paid $195 then ordered the other insert for around $35. I't has been well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    The portable tables I've used are the wooden snack tray tables that come in a set of 4 for about $40 and the light weight folding picnic type tables that are about the same price for 5 or 6 ft table.
    What I've found that I like even better are the school desk type tables that are about 4 ft x 18". The legs are adjustable and they are quite sturdy, even if a bit worn from being in a school classroom for however long. I found mine at a yard sale from someone who got them in bulk at auction when the school replaced them with new ones. He was selling them 4 for $30. I convinced him to let me have 2 for $15. Then went back a few weeks later and got 2 more for use elsewhere.

I worked at a nursing home and they were redoing the pt's rooms and the over the bed trays they told us girls whoever wanted them to take them. I keep one of my machines on it and can adjust the hgt to what I need. Its works out well and they were free. Sue

Blog Entries
    I've been looking for somthing new for my sewing machine table and am still on the fence - nice cabinet from Wallmart, or the SewEz. hard to decide...

So anymore reviews on these tables? Looking for a table I can put near my chair in living room. I have Kenmore sewing machine. Was hoping for one on wheels, but can't seem to find any.
    Sharonkay
    ---
    New to quilting
    Love Horses!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast