Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to baste, put the binding on, then machine quilt? >

Is it possible to baste, put the binding on, then machine quilt?

Is it possible to baste, put the binding on, then machine quilt?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by PamH
Sooo if you use the spray basting do you still pin, I've never used the spray.
Only if you feel uncomfortable with the spray basting. If you accidentally shift the fabrics, you can lift one side and smooth it out again. It stays rather sticky for a while.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 PM

In my machine quilting class, our teacher said you can quilt any time, even after the binding is on. I have a first quilt that needs more quilting so I was glad to hear that. Can't wait to see your pic?

judee
Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 PM

No, you don't have to pin at all which is the great thing about spray basting.

judee
Old 12-22-2008, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the info on the spray basting.. I 'll have to get me some!!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 AM

Mplsgirl, I agree totally! I guess I am more a piecer than quilter, because I have not learned to quilt them myself. I hand quilted a cheater quilt many years ago. Now, I have damage to my hand and don't think I could hand quilt. And I tried once to stitch next to the ditch and really uglied up a very pretty quilt I had made! And I cannot afford to have my quilts machine quilted by others. My SIL did pay to have one I did for him professionally quilted and it is fantastic...wish I could put it in a show! But, for now, for me, tying works...and I kind of like that style, too.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:06 PM

Just keep in mind that if you don't do the machine applique first, before you sandwich the quilt.. unless you take it all apart --- all those stitches are going to show up on the back of the quilt..

If it were me, I would present him with ONLY the quilt top, unfinished like it is with an explanation that I will take it back and finish it for him. This way give you the leeway to make other changes and make sure it will be perfect for him when the final presentation is made.

I am sure he will love it regardless of how you present it to him, because you made it with love.

Jacke
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM

I made a large quilt for my daughter for Christmas and didn't have time to quilt it so I sprayed it well and put the binding on it. I will machine quilt it later! I've done it before and it works if the quilt is sprayed well.

Here's myquilt: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/14491.page
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MsSage
Thank you auntluc hmmmmm Binding has always terrified me LOL I figured it was something I was just gunna have to deal and cry and get mad and keep going ...I really like the birthing method. Can you do a double seam to give it the look of binding?
I had no idea I was "birthing" :lol: but I've used it for a long time, especially when I make a knock-around, drag-around quilt for kids. I make a half-inch or five-eighth inch seam and then once it's turned to the right side, I top-stitch a little wider than the seam. For instance on the half-inch seam, I top-stitch about five-eighth -inch around the edge. For a five-eighth inch seam, I top-stitch about three-fourth inch around the edge. It's a nice edge and looks like a binding. Just be sure to use a walking foot. Good luck and congratulations for taking on the challenge to have it done for Christmas. I started a Christmas quilt the day of our snow (two weeks ago) and, as of 8 o'clock this morning, it is DONE. Well the label will have to wait until after Christmas. I decided not to sweat the small stuff.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
jem

I have tied many quilts, especially if the quilt needs to be done in a hurry. I have found the 'international tie' works out great and is very neat.
I would not bind a quilt and then hand or machine quilt it.
Good luck.
Jem
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by jem
I have tied many quilts, especially if the quilt needs to be done in a hurry. I have found the 'international tie' works out great and is very neat.
I would not bind a quilt and then hand or machine quilt it.
Good luck.
Jem
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "international tie"? I could look it up, but you sweet gals probably already know the answer and will be so kind as to reply. Thanks in advance. And Merry Christmas to you and yours.