Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to have... >

Is it possible to have...

Is it possible to have...

Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 AM

I'm just trying to quit looking at the classifieds here and that's pretty hard. I've got 4 quilts that have to be done by December 1st (some have to be mailed). I've been trying to use up my stash but with garage sales, estate sales, and a trip to Marshall Dry Goods it seems to be multiplying faster than I can use it. Maybe it's breeding. I need my sisters to come down from Michigan. (I once sent over 200 yds home with them and couldn't even tell) This fall is organization time. I may have to post some on here. I've got to cut back to a reasonable amount.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 AM

About 10 years ago a local Joann's closed and all fabric was 50-75% off. I had just rec'd my Christmas bonus and spent it all on fabric there. I filled 4 shopping carts!! You know, I still have some of that fabric in my stash. MY tastes and style of quilting have changed so much over the years. I advise new quilters to buy basics: blenders, white on white, beige on beige, and not so much of "today's" colors. I don't have a large stash. I've given away a lot but I'll never buy in such a large quantity again. (OH CRAP!! Who am I kidding??? If I saw a huge sale like that I'd prob do it all again and in 10 years have the same regrets LOL!!!)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:36 AM

I was in line waiting to have some fabric cut at Joann's on Saturday. I was joking with the employee about having to buy fabric for a quilt for one of my nieces because she wanted black and red and I was out of the colors in my stash and how hard it was not to buy more fabric because they had 99 cent fat quarters. The lady behind me gave me heck for giving in to an "Obsessive behavior". Turns out she had a real problem with fabric obsession and now she only keeps enough fabric etc. for one year. It's a good thing she spoke up about her obsession because I was about to give her heck right back. LOL!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 AM

no never LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 AM

I went to a garage sale one day and the entire garage was FILLED with 3 foot high piles of material - on rows and rows of tables - DOUBLE KNIT - from the 70's, I guess. It was so much that I even wondered how it all fit in the house. I heard the woman say that "Daddy just let Mom buy all of this material because it made her so happy". Guess we all have our little things that make us happy!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 AM

All of your comments have brought up another thought. Are most quilters OCD? Yes, I know a few who buy only what they will use at the time, but not many. The majority of quilters that I know will simply buy because they like something. I swear, sometimes it's like another person takes over when I walk through the door of my lqs. There must be something in the air that makes me go over to the dark side!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 AM

I went through a divorce several years ago and had no job and 2 sons in college. Needless to say the expendable income was quite lean. I learned that you can't spend if you don't go to the store. Every once in a while I have indulge but not unless I have a real need, whick means a pattern, a plan and a project deadline.
Luckily I had a stash and lots of quilts. BTW, I have moved several times in the last few years, that motivates you to stop buying just to buy also.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I piece in the warm monthes, quilt in the cooler/cold monthes because I hand quilt.
That's a good idea! I never thought to do that!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
All of your comments have brought up another thought. Are most quilters OCD? Yes, I know a few who buy only what they will use at the time, but not many. The majority of quilters that I know will simply buy because they like something. I swear, sometimes it's like another person takes over when I walk through the door of my lqs. There must be something in the air that makes me go over to the dark side!!!
I agree! :lol:
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM

If any of you would like to donate some of that stash, I make lap quilts for cancer patients and I'm always looking for donations. I do provide the batting and the backing fabric, so I'm donating also.