Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have...

I think I have reached the point that I need to stop buying fabric for awhile(could be years) and just sew up what I have at home. My sewing room is full, the closet in sewing room is full and I have the parlor with way too much fabric in it. I like pretty fabric and see and think I can get it made up and there it sits. Going to a mini retreat this weekend and will finish a few things and then need to organize what I have and get started on only things I have already purchased and stop buying more fabric.

Power Poster
    yes - or at least too much to use in one lifetime

Blog Entries
    I have tote upon tote upon tote of fabric, 26 totes stuffed full to be exact. I have so much and it isn't arranged in any certain order so if I want to find something I have to go thru all the totes to find something . Most times it is just easier to go buy what I need for a new project then take the time to go thru the stash. I'm not sure that I think that I have too much, but I definetly have enough for quite a few quilts. I also am quilty of having many quilt tops folded and stuffed in a tote. Quilting them isn't my strong suit, but I do love peicing them, and I also bought a lot of them off ebay. I don't think I can quit buying but I sure do need to cut way down.

Ha Ha, I too seem to have alot of fabric so, because I am saving to go to Australia next year to visit my daughter I am only using fabric in my stash, its amazing what I've found! ( of course did have to go and buy some for her wedding quilt - but hey that is very special), but its working and its odd how fabric just seems to blend together the only other thing I will have to buy is wadding - but then that is a 'need' rather than a 'want' so the answer is find something very expensive to save for then you won't be so tempted (not sure how long its gonna last though!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by grammynan
    If any of you would like to donate some of that stash, I make lap quilts for cancer patients and I'm always looking for donations. I do provide the batting and the backing fabric, so I'm donating also.
    I sent you a PM

Power Poster
    Never.

I spent so much on fabric that I totally ran out of batting. So last Sunday, ran to JoAnns and got batting for quilts and fusible fleece for totes. NO FABRIC! Don't know how I did it, and while driving home, I was regretting that I didn't buy that cute lemon fabric that I was eyeing! Now that took STRENGTH! But I did it!. I have plenty in my stash that I do not need to purchase anymore for quite awhile, but if I see something I really like, usually I buy it, so Sunday was highly unusual for me to pass up that fabric. But all I think about is how cute that fabric would have looked in potholders --- hmmmm, might have to go back to JoAnn's just to get that out of my mind!

Blog Entries
    Feel sorry for me.... Have a stash that when I make a top now dont have to buy any fabric just find it here.... BUT I live next door to my favorite LQS.....

I tell you what - ever since those "Hoarders" shows have been on, I've really been trying to clear out - fabric included. I've got boxes I never see, with fabric that I bought when I was in the 1/4 yd. phase. Not enough to do anything with but a scrap quilt. So I spend yesteday getting a lot ready to donate. It will take several 'siftings', but I'm determined to find everything a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    I tell you what - ever since those "Hoarders" shows have been on, I've really been trying to clear out - fabric included. I've got boxes I never see, with fabric that I bought when I was in the 1/4 yd. phase. Not enough to do anything with but a scrap quilt. So I spend yesteday getting a lot ready to donate. It will take several 'siftings', but I'm determined to find everything a good home.
    Me too ! Those "hoarders" shows had me taking a good hard look at my "accumulations" of fabric.

Blog Entries
    yah, I know the feeling of being overwhelmed too. I am starting to feel crowded out. Gonna have to work harder to get it made up and maybe share some of it with a friend.

"Hoarders" just doesn't have me looking at my fabrics; it has me looking around my whole house esp the kitchen. How do I end up with 5 ladles, 3 collanders, 8 cutting boards, etc?? Starting boxes for donation to Humane Society Thrift Store--I could prob outfit an entire kitchen for someone!

I saw an ad in our local paper an ad $25 for all fabric in garage. I called and seems the wife had sewed all her life and had a disease now that she couldn't. I headed over there and seems the husband had done this without the wife's knowledge. He called and said not to come but said when the time came he would call me. Months went buy and I got a phone call. I was really suprised as I figured that I would never hear from him. Hubby and I GPS'ed his address and found their house. Sure enough the garage had at least 6 shelves full of fabric but most of it was knit. All kinds of knit. After meeting the wife and talking with her she had sewed everything for her family even their suits. I didn't realize their were so many types of knit. I didn't have the heart to tell them I didn't want it as knew the husband was trying to get rid of stuff. Both were in their 80's and no children. So we packed it up and now I have 10 bins of knit fabrics I don't know what to do with. I did donate some to a theatre group last year. Right now I am thinking I will open up a bin, take a picture and put it on Craigslist and see what I can get. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Patches
    If anyone needs storage space,they can store it at my house.(he-he-he)
    ditto here.

I have the same problem, when I lived in Ky, we had a store called Paul's discount and they had a huge area for crafts/fabric ($2.00 yd) all flat folds. My friend and I would go and spend several hrs finding fabrics. It was all 100% cotton and good fabric. then in 2007 my husband had a massive heart attack and has been ill ever since with all kinds of health issues. We moved back to Illinois to family that could help me and needless to say, my quilting went by the wayside. I have been working on getting it organized and out of the bins and totes I had it in and putting the bigger pieces on empty bolts from my LQS (which my daughter's mother in law owns slowly but surely it is getting better but I still buy

I was reading a thread here the other day where the member went to a garage sale and there was about 80 totes FULL of fabric, she got two totes and some other stuff.

I DO NOT want my family selling totes of fabric at a garage sale when I am dead and gone. I feel that it is a waste and my own GREED is taking something away from the other members of the household (my children). If I spend 10 dollars on a yard of fabric and NEVER use it that could have been 10 dollars that my children spent some place we enjoy. I will never get the 10 dollars back trying to resale it.
    I am really good at talking myself out of anything and everything too though, I don't feel this way JUST about fabric. I talked myself out of my new puppy, my husband got him anways. I talk myself out of new clothes, and even getting my hair cut when I really do hate it long. lol All so I don't have to spend money (that we have available to spend). Wish I could find a happy medium.

Oh no, that could be very dangerous to have it right next door I have to at least drive 20 min to town or call my dd's MIL
    and have her bring it too me

I'm here I am raising my hand and I could give it a good home
    LOL I like to just look and feel and sometimes that is enough

[quote=janRN] MY tastes and style of quilting have changed so much over the years. I advise new quilters to buy basics: blenders, white on white, beige on beige, and not so much of "today's" colors. I don't have a large stash. quote]

I am at a point now that I am trying to do this. Stock up on basics and focus on less trendy fabrics and or reproduction. I have not bought as much because of the economy but I find I have too small a pieces in my stash to complete quilts. So at this point I try to buy yardage for backing, sashing and borders to use with all the FQ and scraps I have.

there are church groups &guilds that will take knit sto make lap to lg quilts for cancer patients & homeless. I understand dbl knits are especially good for homeless--heavier, takes more abuse! someone else told they can be cut into ??2" strips & crocheted into rugs.

With the price of fabric going up I am glad to have a little stash. I only buy what I absolutely need when I don't have it in my stash.

I, too, watched the "horder" shows and decided I didn't want them coming to my house. I've got way to much, of everything, and now I'm clearing my mother's house that is worse than mine. I have 6 large boxes of double knits of hers that I plan to take to a church mission group since they are the only ones I've found that will use it.

We've both done all sorts of crafts also, so we have tons of those items. It's gotten so hard to find something, that it's usually easier to go buy more than find it. I've declared war on my house and am trying to take a sack of something (trash, donate, sell, etc.) out of it every day. I'm hoping to get enough done to be able to have Christmas at my house this year -- right now everyone wouldn't be able to sit down at the same time.

Only if it's weighing you down. I happily bought fabric for about a year while I was building my stash. Lately when I walk into a quilt shop, I see lots that I love. But I don't love buying it any more. My eyes are full when it comes to fabric. Now I enjoy "shopping" in my own sewing room. Part of the enjoyment is paring it down. With all the scraps I've generated, it's gotten a little out of hand.

I know that I am the "odd man out" but I have learned to resist buying fabric simply because it is gorgeous. Unless I intend to cut that fabric out tomorrow, I don't buy. I have a stash from leftover fabric from projects plus fabric purchased before I realized that it was more fun to buy for a particular project rather than for future use. Am I sounding far too practical and frugal (maybe even cheap).

I now have two big plastic tubs full of fabric and intend to use them for piecing backing for my quilts or I have a yen to make the clothesline baskets. That should make a hole it my stash. Strip piecing has also sparked my fancy.

Now to stay off the computer and get to work maybe I can reduce my stash.

I took a class at my quilt shop to "Use My Stash". It sounded like a good idea. I had an Asian Jelly roll, and the stash project was for strips so, I decided to use the jelly roll. Well, as I started to put it together,it was too dark, and it also needed a fabric to bring it all together, so I bought a yard of white and green asian fabric, and when the top was sewn together, it needed a border, and a back. I found a really nice Asian border and also an Asian back that just made a beautiful quilt. but when I was finished, I think I ended up with more fabric left-over than I started with!!!. Oh well. Hopefully lesson learned. But probably not!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast