Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops? >

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 PM

The LQS in a neighboring town tears the fabric instead of cutting. A person I know that worked for them had to quit because the tearing releases particles into the air and it caused her asthma to act up.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I have a problem with JoAnns at times. Sometimes I just have to leave because I'll get a headache and feel nauseated.
Me too, but it could be because of the prices! ;)

(a little levity)
Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 PM

With my youngest son, it is definitely something on the fabric because it happens to him even in the clothing aisle at Wal-mart. It's like instant migraine for him. School shopping has to be done in 15 minute intervals--we can stretch it to 30 minutes if he takes an allergy pill and ibuprofen an hour before going in. He uses the most overpowering body spray & air fresheners so I know his problem isn't fragrance--it's the dye or stiffeners in the fabric. He actually likes the laundry powder & air freshener aisle in Wal-mart. Hubby & I have to hold our breath in it--grab what we're after and get out--LOL.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:12 PM

It's probably due to the chemicals the fabric manufacturers use to make and set the colors. That's why I pre wash all my fabric first.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Now you get to be a 'detective' and try all the suggestions.

Not touching your face is a big one as is washing your hands right away after being in the store.

See if it is the yarns or not. I can't get near wool.

Please share the result with the owners/management of the store. It may be something simple like dusting the floor multiple times a day that will help.?.

Years ago they used to use formaldehyde to preserve thread. I was pregnant with my now 44 year old son at the time I learned this. My hubby was horrified and made sure I didn't put the thread in my mouth when threading a needle [I didn't and still don't.]

ali
Old 10-10-2011, 01:17 AM

I got sick from my fabrics too. My nose would run, head hurt and I sneezed the whole time while I was in the room. Hubby kept the windows cracked in my sewing room while I was deployed becasue of the chemical like smell. I came home four days ago and got sick the first day trying to organize stuff in that room. I had to stop what I was doing to start washing. Lucky for me the base is closing so I have access to eight washers and dryers at a time. Day four and I am still washing but I'm able to be in the room for longer periods of time. It is a small room too.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 AM

It could also be the chemicals that they use for cleaning the store.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 AM

Yes, it is and I get stuff and start sneezing just walking down the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store. I get a stuffy nose and start sneezing in my LQS. I just suck it up and bear it, you just can't keep me out of a QS. LOL
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 AM

Not only are fabrics treated with chemicals but cloths we buy also. Especially blue jeans. Most jeans are treated with formaldehyde. If you are allergic to that you will start to have breathing problems within minutes. Too big a dose and you'll be in the hospital. I am not allergic but I still wash cloths before I wear them. I do not like washing material before I cut it.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 AM

Your probably allergic to formaldhyde, the chemicals in the fabric outgass. I'm allergic to it and get congested if I'm in a shop too long. So I have to limit my time when shopping for fabric. I can't even go in JoAnns because there is way too much stuff. Once the fabric is washed it no longer outgasses.