Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops? >

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Is it possible I'm allergic to fabric shops?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 AM

There used to be a HUGE fabric outlet near Hershey, PA. Many, many years ago I took my mother and my cousin there...cousin and I were both pregnant and going to make maternity clothes. I made mine...she never did...LOL.

Anyway...all 3 of us couldn't breathe and our eyes burned and watered terribly till we got out of there. I was telling my SIL who lived in Hershey and she went there a lot and said the same thing would happen to her. I went back another time...same thing. I don't know how those poor people that worked there survived.

Now fast forward 41 years later. I go with a friend to another HUGE fabric outlet in Lemoyne, PA (PA Fabric Outlet) and can spend hours in there and it doesn't bother me or her. Going to JoAnn's doesn't bother me either.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 AM

I had the same reactions when I was young and visiting hospitals - I believe it is the formaldehyde in both cases. Clothing made with this stuff in it needs to be washed before use or it gives me a rash.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 AM

I was sewing on something yesterday that I didn't prewash and had to put cold water on my face, visine in my eyes and take an allergy pill. My face was so red.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess
Went on a shop hop with some friends the other day and after a very short time in the first shop I became congested and started coughing. Tell me it's not true.....a quilter with fabric allergies!!!!
this used to happen to my young son when I would go into JoAnn's, He would get all cranky and his eyes would start to water with in 10 min. and I think the Chemicals in the fabric finishes caused this... and with in a short time after leaving the store he would be all right... so I started to leave him with hubby then I could shop for at least an hour...
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sallyflymi
Yes, the dyes and finishing on material bother me a lot. After it is washed and dried it is okay.
This is my reaction as well...after a good washing all is well!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Hmmm, I guess that explains my coughing when I'm in certain quilt shops!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM

i start sneezeing and coughing in some fabric stores, i think its the dye ing the fabric or something
Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 AM

I have serious problems in stores with acrylic, rayon, silk and stuff like that.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 AM

A friend of mine 20 years ago told me she couldn't stay in a fabric shop long because of the formaldehyde they use in fabric. Guess what they still do. I reccently read where its to keep the fabric wrinkle free.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 AM

Formaldehyde in fabrics; drywall on the walls/ceiling maybe; chemicals in new carpeting - new carpeting burns my eyes for a while, & old carpeting can harbor only God knows what!; some stores have no windows & poor circulation or are just recirculating bad air. All great reasons for me to use more & more repurposed fabrics. :-)