Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to machine appliqué... >

Is it possible to machine appliqué...

Is it possible to machine appliqué...

Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 PM

Default Is it possible to machine appliqué...

Is it possible to machine appliqué to the quilt top and quilt it down at the same time? I think a one step process would be a great time savings. My design is very simple and does not have small pieces so it seems like it should be possible. If I could figure out how to post a pic I'd show you what I'm trying to do but alas I'm not at all a computer geek. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

i have done that successfully on small items... not on a large quilt though.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I did an applique border on a queen size quilt using a small zig zag stitch around the edges. By the time I was through quilting the quilt the applique egdes were fraying and pulling away from the zig zag. I had to re stitch the applique using a wider and tighter zig zag. I went through all layers of the quilt and it looked fine on the back. I used a thread to match the backing an the top thread matched the applique. The quilt sandwich has to be very smooth, no puffiness anywhere, as flat as you can get it. I would use misty fuse on the back of the quilt top before basting if using applique for the quilting.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 PM

It would be preference. Personally I wouldn't want to see the stitching on the back of the quilt.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 PM

i use fusible and then straight stitch around design then applique stitch, or i fuse then just do blanket stitch
Old 09-14-2013, 03:26 PM

It's certainly possible if you have a thin batting and incorporate the applique sewing into the quilting pattern that appears on the back.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 PM

I knew a quilter who made lots of baby items for sale just that way-using the stitching to secure the shape edges as well as secure the three layers. Her work was very nice and backs were nice and smooth. I've done wall hangings the same way, but nothing too big. Turned out fine.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM

Absolutely! Just know that the applique outline is going to be on the back. Would be a nice time saver.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 PM

I always make my landscape quilts that way. In this case, however, the back isn't seen because they are put into picture frames. Since my rheumatoid arthritis hands won't let me do it by hand, I always applique by machine. I've never tried it the way you're suggesting. I agree it probably depends on your feeling about the stitches showing on the back. Maybe you could have the applique thread match your backing. Wait, that won't work; you don't want your stitches to be noticeable in front either. I'd probably experiment first with scraps. Please let us know what you do.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Like to see the result!