Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possible to Sit & Cut Fabric?

I have my ironing board set at a comfortable sitting level and use it for cutting-pressing-ironing clothes and since it is right beside my sewing machine all I have to do is swivel my chair around to use it. Very handy except that I tend to sit for long periods of time. Walmart carries a larger ironing board now which makes a good cutting table.

I use one of those thick kitchen mats to stand on, cuts the leg and feet strain. Plus taking breaks, dont just stand there stiff legged. I feel I get better cuts standing.

I would definitely try it! I've done it a bit though I find that standing gives me a better cut.

when i cut squares the same size i cut the long strips then i sit in the chair with a wooden tv tray with a cutiing mat that fits inside the tray and cut my indvidual sqaures. i cant cut everything that way but it sure helps i have arthritus in my back and it really hurts to stand for long periods for anything. i used to do alot of pressing small pieces that way too but i bought a larger ironing board and it doest let down far enough i think im going to have to replace it. i just cant stand and press for long periods of time either. ive been pressing a few then sewing more then pressing etc.
    its really sad cause its a nice ironing board and its a nice size. but i didnt realize til it was too late to return, so ill just have to get another one but ill make do for now. but thats how i sit and cut and used to sit and iron as well.
    carla

Power Poster
    i have sta at my quilting table and cut before you have to do whatever works and is comfortable for you
    QUILTNMO

I don't have a dediated workspace/table. So I use the coffee table in my living room. I sit on my couch. I do all my cutting from there and sewing as well. So yes, it is possible.

YES!! I have a Martelli Ergo cutter and I sit and cut all the time. I have a cutting table and so sometimes will stand but also just had foot surgery and cannot stand so I have been sitting and cutting just fine!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Banned
    Except when I'm cutting long strips that I don't want to fold, I always sit to cut my fabric.
    No problems with the results. I don't think I could stand for 3 hrs under any circumstances - very bum knees.

Blog Entries
    good luck with the suggestions and 3 hours is too long for me too. so take breaks and relax a bit in between cutting.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I have a large cutting table that is the perfect height for cutting when standing. When I tire of standing, I pull up the chair I use for reaching items on top shelves of my cabinets. Above the steps on it is a chair seat. Sitting in it makes cutting while sitting so easy. I also use that chair at my ironing board. I find that I am doing more things while sitting. I sit at my cutting table and pin things together for chain piecing. I am so glad I learned to cut while seated!

I use my barstool at my cutting table....haven't had any problems with cutting.....but no one is serving me drinks.....next time going to try a different barstool.............

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I thought everyone sat and cut...I only stand for large cuttings of many layers of fabric
    Huh, and I thought everybody stood and cut. I have never even tried to sit and cut. And with my luck (especially today..was trimming up a block..while I was sitting, and managed to put a good? slice in the side of my finger), I'd probably come up with even wonkier cut fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattia View Post
    I have a small adjustable table that we bought at someplace like Office Depot or Staples or maybe Costco. I has just enough table top to put a med cutting matt on and comfortably cut while sitting on my couch. I has various levels that the height can be adjusted to. It works great.
    That's what I have. I can adjust the height for what I am doing.
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

My brother built my cutting table and made it a couple of inches higher than standard - it's 38 inches high. That seems to alleviate the back and neck problems because I'm not bending over as far. (My dear brother also built all the cabinets in our house, and all our countertops - kitchen, bath and laundry room - are 38 inches. That's two inches higher than standard and it seems to have helped my back problems.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    I alway stand to do it all.. except the sewing, of course! I think it would be very hard to try to reach, while sitting.. just my opinion... I have a folding table, which I had put on blocks, to raise it... really helps !

I often cut or pin baste on my center island or kitchen counter. However the best purchase I've made in a long time is my cutting table. Just the right height!
    Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    What about using a bar stool to sit on.. I have one that I use from time to time when im cutting lil bits..
    That's exactly what I have at my cutting table in my sewing room & it works like a charm!!! I've also sat on the couch & used the coffee table when I only had small stuff to cut but I prefer my bar stool.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Get an Accuquilt Go and you can sit all you want.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Whatever works for you is the correct way to cut.

Sitting is fine, as long as you are sitting high enough that the table is lower than your elbows.

And I agree, 3 hours is WAAAAAY too long to be cutting, even sitting. You need to take breaks for stretching.

I also have a bar stool and cut at my "cutting table" while sitting

I never stand....I sit for everything.

I have to stand to cut, but I put those bed-risers under the legs of my table, and that has really helped my back a lot!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattia View Post
    I have a small adjustable table that we bought at someplace like Office Depot or Staples or maybe Costco. I has just enough table top to put a med cutting matt on and comfortably cut while sitting on my couch. I has various levels that the height can be adjusted to. It works great.
    I got an adjustable table like they use for feeding patients as hospitals (slides over the bed) and with a little backing, mounted my 24x36 cutting mat to it with a couple of "C" clamps. That way, I can adjust to any height, sitting, standing at various levels, and it rolls to wherever I want it.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I cut most of my small pieces sitting down. Large cuts and many multiple layers-standing up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast