Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Possible to Sit & Cut Fabric?

Blog Entries
    yes it is, there are rotary cutters made for being able to sit & cut. CHeck the altos sight Also think about the accuquilt cutter, it may be expensive but just buy the dies you need (on ebay) much cheaper, this will help you too. Wish I lived closer and could do your cutting! Hugs
    Patski
    always learning

I'm a sitter except when I am cutting very long strips. I sit on an adjustable desk chair that I can raise or lower depending on where I am cutting - sewing table or dining room table. Just be careful not to cut toward you...you are already changing one thing - standing to sitting - so you may inadvertently also change your cutting technique, too.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Sabrina has it right. Just find the height that is comfortable for you and cut away! Watching the staff at JoAnn cut fabric I notice their cutting table is higher than any table I have in my house; although just about the same height oas my kitchen counter. So I found a kitchen stool that puts me at the right height and angle and cut there. Really helps with the back problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    I cut in the floor. So yeah it is possible. I am sitting on my knees for the most part but I guess if you are high enough for a good angle and with enough control, cut how you want.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

SueJ,
    Standing and cutting for 3 hours is way too long. I sit and cut most of the time, only standing when I need to cut strips.
    Sharon W.

Working for 45 min at a time......not 3 hours, works for me. I have to save my neck and my back and hips. I then rest, go on to something else and then go back to the job. You would be surprised at how much I can complete in the short amount of time. I leave my quilting area ready to work on the next step....always approaching the area ready to go!

Funny you should ask !!! This week I was cutting while on our pontoon boat while hubby and friend was fishing.

Water wasn't rough and we have kidney shaped table where I put my cutting mat --have a 12 in folding one with
    ironing side on other half. My girl friend caught 6 perch fish for dinner . She cleaned/cooked them. Lots of fun.
    Going boating again but no quilting. Lovely holiday weekend here in north.

Blog Entries
    I make large cloth dolls to give away to children with very devestating medical problems (mostly kids with cancer) and cut on my floor or put a cutting mat on the wider part of the ironing board, putting it in front of the recliner. I am almost 72 and have done that for soon to be 108 of the dolls (100 of which have found a home.) Sometimes because I only have 34% of my lungs, I get short of breath, and have to go get my o2, and sometimes if the fabric is denser then normal (that I reserve for doll bodies) my fingers get super tired, and I rest them and excercise my hands for a day before more cutting. I haven't spent money on a cutting table, as what isn't donated toward the dolls, goes toward postage when I have to mail them out. THE ACS disburses them for me otherwise. I use cash donationsm when they can be spared to buy thread, trim and ribbons, etc. material...all that stuff. Anyway, what I am taking a long time to say is this....whatever one has to do to get the cutting done is to cut where you can, maybe in shorter time spans and doing it more often, but where there is a will, there is a way. Hang in there and it will all work itself out. Maybe someday you'll get some kind of table. I find it all works out or has for me. If I am almost 72 and can do it, I imagine most others can as well. God Bless you and yours out there.

Vickey Stamps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
    YES!! I have a Martelli Ergo cutter and I sit and cut all the time. I have a cutting table and so sometimes will stand but also just had foot surgery and cannot stand so I have been sitting and cutting just fine!!!
    Ditto! I also use the Martelli Ergo cutter. It is perfect for sitting and cutting. It is so much easier than using a straight handled cutter. Try it and see!!!
    http://q-nonnie.blogspot.com

I have this rope in my hands. I can't figure out whether I found a rope or lost my horse.

SueJ and others -yes, forgot to add that I was sitting on the bench seat on boat while cutting.
    Gee, wish I lived closer to some of you to share some of my stash stuff as I will never get all of this used in
    my lifetime. Seems the more I give away the more I have. Have 4 rotory cutters so use according to mood.
    I need new knee so can not stand for long to do anything.

Blog Entries
    i HAVE HAD 5 BACK SURGERIES AND STANDING TO DO ANYTHING IS INCREDIBLY PAINFUL. I PUT MY CUTTING MAT ON THE IRONING BOARD AND SIT AT THE IRONINGBOARD TO DO MY CUTTING. MUCH EASIER FOR ME!

I do it all the time. I have a cutting mat at my side table near my sewing machine. I just twist around on my armless desk chair and cut and iron too. It has saved my back. Also, a friend gave me a wedge for my chair. It fits around the back and supports my lower spine.

I use my ironing board and adjust it to the level that I need. Sometimes when I am doing long fabric I take a pice of shelving board that I bought at home depot and place on top of it. Works great.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    As long as I get enough leverage, the answer is yes. I cut most of my subcuts and smaller blocks while sitting at my table. However the longer strips and big blocks, I prefer to stand over and get lots of pressure on the ruler.

I have a banquet table that I use for cutting, etc. I sit to cut. Some quilters raise the table with leg extensions so they can stand and cut. I just do without the extensions and sit and cut.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

I sit and cut off my bench,works great.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

With a rotary cutter I always stand to cut. But like others there are some great ideas!

yes, I sit on the sofa and i use a folding food tray to cut on
    works ok

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Thanks for all the great ideas!! I used to always stand and cut, but now with blood clot problems and leg swelling, I needed to find another way..Will look for that adjustable table!!
    Or an adjustable chair, like the comfortable executive office chairs.

http://www.chairsupermarket.co.uk/?a...FRQrfAodcSWDpQ

I have never stood up to cut as it causes too much pain and have no problems. For larger pieces of fabric, I rip then trim, fold a lot and use a good quality cutter with sharp blades and have no problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma nurse View Post
    I always cut sitting down. I use an office chair with wheels and move around between my cutting table, sewing machine and pressing board. If I had to stand to cut I would be unable to quilt. I have spinal stenosis and I spend my time always looking for someplace to sit.
    I have almost this same set up. I only stand to cut very long items. Just think it out and try different ways.

At last! Someone who tears fabric then cuts the torn strips into smaller pieces -- sitting down! I have a very bad back and can't stand for more than a few minutes, so I've been using this system happily for 15 years. I should note that I never plan to enter a quilt contest or to have my work judged. I do a pretty good job and love what I do, and that's just fine with me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3