Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to trade down at a dealer? >

Is it possible to trade down at a dealer?

Is it possible to trade down at a dealer?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
I have the vintage '70's Bernina Record 830 and have never had any trouble with it. Maybe the problem is "they don't make 'em like they used to"? I know that the new Singers are garbage. I wouldn't own a new machine if it were given to me!
I have a singer Quantum XL-6000 and love it,I've had it for 6years.The lady at JoAnns told me the new singers are made by viking.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 AM

The simpler Bernina are outstanding machines, but most people I know with a 820 or 830 seem to think them temperamental. I have a 440 that I wouldn't trade for the world for general sewing. I do a lot of piecing on my vintage machines (Singer 99 and 221 mostly). I finally bought a Sweet 16 sit down mid arm for quilting. It seems like the best characteristics for piecing (narrow feed dogs, perfect straight stitch) just don't fit with the decorativnet asks the computerized machines are designed to do.

Hope your dealer lets you trade down.

Pam
Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Default Bernina Machine

Originally Posted by peacequiltingnana View Post
I have a Bernina 820, which is now 18 months old. I bought it primarily because I wanted to do more of my own quilting on large quilts. Most of the time it works beautifully but every once in awhile it becomes very tempermental and I can spend hours trying to get it to free-motion quilt. A perfect example is yesterday when I was 3/4 through quilting a quilt (it had worked beautifully all afternoon) and for an unknown reason it decided it didn't want to stitch correctly anymore. It took me well over an hour to get it to work correctly again. This kind of thing has happened a number of times now and I have had it at the dealers at least three times. I have found out in the last months that these machines, as a model, are quite tempermental. I am wondering if I could take it to a Bernina dealer and work a trade for another Bernina machine. I realize I would take a significant financial loss but it might be worth my sanity. Also, can anyone suggest a Bernina model that is reliabable and not so tempermental. I'm sorry to ask such a dumb question but I only hear about people trading up!
I have an 830 that had just been cleaned and adjusted and I worked one day on it
and the next day I had a lock on it and they are tempemental. I have had it to the
dealer so many times and he is so good about fixing it . I have no trouble with my 730 Bernina. Its hard to pull it off my quilt frame and take it over there. ONly two blocks but its a pain.
I brought back my Pfaff grand quilter that he put on consignment so I am going to put that on
to finish the rest of my quilt.
I know how you feel after you pay all that money and it doesn't do as well as you expected.
Go to your nearest Bernina dealer and tell him how you feel. They need to know that we aren't happy.
Trent wants to sell me the Husquavana and its $9000 and I told him to sell my 830 first and than I would..
The answer to your question is you can't trade it in but you can put it on consignment but I didn't have
any luck with that either.
Good Luck to you as we share the same problem.
The 780 is just coming out but I love my 730
I do have a good dealer that helps me
Old 08-03-2012, 03:43 PM

I have an old Pfaff 1222E, lovely machine no complaints about it, I've had it about 5 years. The Pfaff is my favorite machine to piece flannel quilts, it has the IDT(built in walking foot). I also own a herd of Singers(1916-1974) and they are what a Singer should be; unlike what is sold today.
I've owned 5 Berninas through the last 15 years, 807 minimatic,930,1031(bought new),140 and 150 PE.
The newer Berninas they seemed to give me more problems than my older ones do. My daughter learned to sew with my 1031 and just fell in love when I bought a 930 and I told her that the will hadn't been read yet and needed to buy one of her own. My daughter's 930 is happy to sew just about anything she can get under the presser foot, she's had it about 3 years. Our machines don't seem to be too picky about threads as long as they are good quality threads. I totally agree that they just don't make things like they used to, too many cost cutting measures.

Last edited by purplefiend; 08-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 PM

Go for the current 730. I love mine and have had no problems. Just saw the new 780 at the Long Beach show last weekend. It looks fabulous, with a bigger throat and huge bobbin capacity. Might be able to get a good deal on the 730 when the 780 is available.