Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to trade down at a dealer? >

Is it possible to trade down at a dealer?

Is it possible to trade down at a dealer?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 AM

another thing is, I remember back when you could use any thread or color and the machine never acted up. Used to get the 2for a dollar spools all colors and just thread her up and sew. I realize that for FMQ you have to be more particular about thread. But for piecing, older is so much more better, as far as machines go.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM

I would keep on taking the machine to the dealer and demanding that they get the bugs worked out. I have a 200 machine (I think the 730 replaced the 200 model) that I had trouble with the 1st year I bought it. It was at the dealers more than in my sewing room but once they figured out what was wrong with it I love it. I also have a 440 that has never given me a problem. Hope things get worked out-
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM

I think at this stage, and before any more time has passed,(since they usually will allow you fullprice of what you paid if you move up within a year) I would ask the dealer if they will give you what you paid for this one toward a different machine. If not, I would certainly write Bernina and ask them to replace your machine. I had a Bernina that was not up to their standards and they did replace it when I said I would have to envoke the lemon law if they didn't replace it. Good luck-we all pay big prices for these machines and any other big purchase -appliances, computers, cars, etc. we would not sit quietly by and say ,Oh well".
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM

I agree make Bernina stand and deliver.....
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 AM

When the Bernina Artista 200 came out, years ago, I purchased one on the first machines. I hated it! It was in the shop more than in my sewing room. It took three years and lots of upgrades; but now I love, love, love it. It has been a dream machine once all the bugs were worked out. When the 830 came out, I really wanted one; but did not want to go through what I went through with the new 200. I think Bernina puts new machines on the market before all the bugs are worked out. Once they solve all the problems with a new machine, I agree that nothing sews like a Bernina. I hope you can work out a good trade for your machine or that the problems can be fixed.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM

I have the new 830 and I commented to my dh the otherd day that it is sure nice to have a machine do what I want it to. In other words, I love my 830. I think you got a lemon & need to demand that they either fix it or replace it. (They being Bernina / your dealer)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
I know that the new Singers are garbage.

I have a Singer Quantum and it sews great! It feeds fabric smoothly and and super quiet. I would buy another mid range or high end Singer.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Well, I don't see why not!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
I have the vintage '70's Bernina Record 830 and have never had any trouble with it. Maybe the problem is "they don't make 'em like they used to"? I know that the new Singers are garbage. I wouldn't own a new machine if it were given to me!
For some reason unknown to many of us, Bernina chose to use the same model number
again with this new version. I think it just confuses the issue!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM

I bought a Singer Golden Touch in 1968 and never had any problems with it, I sewed on it all the time and made all of my daughters and my clothes. However,I too have an antique Bernina, I saw a Bernina 930 demonstrated at a Quilt shop and decided I just had to have one. I purchased mine in 1985. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It has truly been a real workhorse for me. I have (knock on wood) never had to have it in the shop. I had several friends purchase the computerized Berninas when they came out, but I decided I didn't want the hassle of dealing with all of the extras and the costs down the road when something might go wrong. I often piece my blocks on my FW, but do my quilting on my Bernina, I don't have a LA.
I agree with others, I would definitely contact Bernina and let them know, that you bought a LEMON and at a high price too. Ask them to replace it. One should not have to have their machine in the shop more than at home to use. Good Luck. I love my Bernina and my FW's. I still have my old Singer Golden Touch, should get it out and use it some or sell it.
I can't judge other brands, as I haven't tried them, and machines are just like cars, clothes and appliances, everyone has their own choice, that's why there are so many different brands and models.