Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to trade down at a dealer? >

Is it possible to trade down at a dealer?

Is it possible to trade down at a dealer?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM

I can understand your not wanting to sell it to another individual, you would be sticking them with your problem. I hope you can get the dealer or the manufacturer to do something. For the money you have invested, you should have a beautifully working machine. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

For the price of the 820 and 830's they should be reliable. I don't care what kind of thread you put on them, they should sew well. I looked at them before I upgraded to my B 440QE and they just were to complex for me. I know some people who love theirs and others like you that are not happy. I hope you can get a good trade in deal at your dealer because sitting down to sew should not be frustrating!!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM

I've always heard how reliable the Berninas are but now I'm beginning to question that. Hope you get this figured out.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Thread is simply not my problem with my 830. My machine has had 2 faulty sensors replaced, the upper threading system replaced, the auto threading spring replaced, the BSR spring replaced and two weeks ago a part literally fell out of the machine on my work. None of these things involved user error(I've been trained thoroughly and have close to 5 million stitches on it). I love my machine but I think it's similar to that old song, "There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very, very good. When she was bad, she was horrid!". I love it when it's acting right. I just wish it would behave more often than not.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM

I am suprised to hear Bernia is making such a tempermental machine. I think I would be tempted to take it back to where I got it, tell them it is a lemon. You paid good money and expected to get a good machine in exchange. If they cann't fix it give me my mony back! (our state has a lemon law, and it applies it any appliance, auto's ect.)
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Thanks to all of you. Believe me, I have tried every kind of thread that's made (well probably not all) and it does prefer certain threads over others but that's not the only issue. And forget the BSR (which is one of the main reasons I bought it). The spring has been replaced and it still doesn't work. I've restored to the darning foot and it does much better with that. Thank you for the suggestions. The dealer has been helpful and wants me to be happy and maybe they would be willing to work something out with me. I'll contact them. I haven't touched the Bernina today. Fortunately I also have a Pfaff 2056 and she has just been sewing her little heart out this afternoon with not one problem - and not one temper tantrum!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM

MPSpeedy - are you talking about Mr. Zimmerman at Hinkeltown in PA? From what I have been told, he is one of the largest Bernina dealers in the World. So, he is able make deals that smaller dealers are not.

When I bought by Artista 630 (which I love, love), there were people in my class from Washington,DC, Maryland and upstate NY. I met a vendor from Texas at a quilt show and she was going to buy an 830 from him. A long way to travel!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I love my Bernina 1260. It sews with every type thread I put on it. I'll sew with it until it dies a natural death. I probably won't buy any new model Bernia. They are too high maintenance and fussy.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
forgot to mention you might also contact Bernina headquarters. Not badmouthing your dealer, stating they have been helping you but you just can't take the frustration anymore - you never know
i wonder if the "lemon law" applies to sewing machines. as far as unloading the machine you have...would you feel comfortable passing on a machine that is having issues?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 AM

I trade my 440QE for an 820 and cursed the day I did it. I t went up to Chicago for Repairs twice. he last time was the straw that broke the camel's back. Found out the 820 had to be babied and I don't baby my sewing macines. My dealer let me trade it in for a 550QE with no extra cost to me. She gave me credit for the extra bobbins and extra feet I bought and traded me for a new insert for my table. I love my 550. I never quilted on the 820 although that is one of the reasons I bought, for the wide throat. I also bought it for th extra large bobbin. I don't miss either part.