Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
potato bag fire! >

potato bag fire!

potato bag fire!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM

i just wash the potato, poke a couple of holes with knife or fork and throw in the microwave for 4 minutes/one potato. No complaints at my house.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
i just wash the potato, poke a couple of holes with knife or fork and throw in the microwave for 4 minutes/one potato. No complaints at my house.
I agree. Just don't get putting the fabric in with the tater. I can see a 'hot spot' below the tater and catching fire.

Never had a problem with the rice bags though. Only heat 3 minutes, no longer.

Glad it was only yor microwave.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Wow. Sorry to hear what happened.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 PM

So sorry this happened to you . I saw a woman in our guilt guild making a bunch of these so I will pass on the info, maybe it can save someone else from fire
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 AM

PS I don't know how this little smiley guy got in this post but it wasn't suppose to be and I don't know how to get it off.Sorry.

I just wanted to mention. When I bought my first potato bag the direction that came with it were:

Simply wash and dry your potatoes. DO NOT PRICK!!!Wrap the potato in a white paper towel and place in the bag. Microwave as instructed by your manufacturer. "Best if used in a rotating microwave."
Other uses:
Tortillas:Put tortillas in the bag, microwave. Take bag to your table they will stay warm during your meal.
Corn on the Cob:Leave in husk, trim excess hair from cob, wrap in white paper towel and put in bag. Microwave for about 4 minutes. One to three ears of corn can be micr-waved at a time, adjust time for your microwave.

Food for thought:
(The do not prick!!! was capitalized and written in red.)
This is how I cook mine all the time in the bag following those directions. I have never had a potato blow up or fire/burn up doing this. I have since asked my son how he did the ones that smelled burny and he said he had pricked them before putting them in the bag.(that "might" be the problem along with the spilled cheese that was in our micro) though I am not saying it is, but something to think about.

I use to just do the prick and throw in the microwave(no bag) but had pretty much quit making them in there because they always turned out (to Us) Dry and just not cared for. In the bag they are moist and yummy so my guys say.
Now with all the said I have to say I would not be using the bag and doing them this way if they had started on Fire either. But from here on out "if" using the bag we will be right there to watch it.
I am sorry too that this has happened to you.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
PS I don't know how this little smiley guy got in this post but it wasn't suppose to be and I don't know how to get it off.Sorry.

Tortillas:Put
You just got your ":" to close to your "P"
With a space between - ": P" - no face shows up.
With no space - ":P" - there is a smilie.

"Tortillas: Put..."
Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

So sorry that happened, but Thanks for the warning!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Default More Potato Bag Fires

Originally Posted by AlisaQuilts View Post
I recently made a potato bag in a sewing class. They assured me that by using 100% cotton batting, that it would not catch fire in the microwave, "It's the cheap batting that has metal in it that catches fire". Well, not so! not only did it catch on fire, it ruined my new microwave! I made several for others as gifts and I had to call, email,or Facebook them all warning them to not use them. I was wondering how many of you have had Potato bag fires?
Alisa,
I have just registered on this site so that I could reply to your comments about the potato bag fire. My poor daughter made many of them and gave for gifts and also sold many at craft shows over the past few months. We have recently been told by a friend and a family member that their bag caught fire. We feel awful. She did the research and, like you, she sought out all the 100% cotton components. What the heck?!?!? I think it is just not wise to take a chance. We will not be making more, unless some kind of sure fire proof can be established as to why they caught fire. Thanks...Sandy
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM

I have thought about making some of these but after reading issues on here, I will just pass. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Thank-you for the warning