Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pounce type chalk quilting markers >
  • Pounce type chalk quilting markers

• Pounce type chalk quilting markers

Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Do you intend using it for hand or machine quilting?

Just to throw a spanner in the works I would not use any form of chalk near my machine and I am speaking from experience. Many years ago I stuffed up my machine from the fine chalk dust and had to go buy another one - no real hardship as I love the new machine - but having to replace it every so often works out to be costly.
    Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 PM
    Power Poster

AMH .... do you use a regular sewing machine needle, or something special? I'm thinking a regular stitch would not give a bigger hole, and thus, would not allow for the chalk to get thru the hole. Thus, why I am interested in knowing what you use. Please? and Thanks!
    Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM
    Power Poster

I use the powder with a sponge brush. Works like a charm.

Just don't combine the wash-away marker on the light fabrics with the iron-off pounce on the dark fabrics (like I did). Since the iron sets the blue marker, I had to wash off those areas and then go back and iron the others. Made life way more complicated than it needed to be.
    Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM

I keep my machines pretty meticulous and clean inside the bobbin area and feed dogs after only a few bobbins. I wouldn't imagine the slight bit of chalk would cause any problems. I also oil frequently and use a lint brush. So, I would think the only problem would come from not cleaning the machine?
    Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
    amh

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    AMH .... do you use a regular sewing machine needle, or something special? I'm thinking a regular stitch would not give a bigger hole, and thus, would not allow for the chalk to get thru the hole. Thus, why I am interested in knowing what you use. Please? and Thanks!
    To make the stencils, I just use a regular sewing machine needle, or a blue jean needle if you want a bit bigger hole. Whatever happens to be in the machine is what I use. I move the transparency sheet pretty much as I would free motion, so the stitches are not super close together. I just need a something to sort of follow and I find this works for me. I do, however, only mark a small area at a time. I mark it, free motion quilt it, and move on to the next area.

I hope this helps.

amh
    Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 AM

I have the Ultimate powder and like it a lot. I prefer the white powder, though. I used the blue once and had a very difficult time removing it. I never did get it all completely out. Fortunately, the marks which remained were over a blue sky fabric, I managed to get them a lot lighter so the marks weren't obvious, and the quilt top was a charity project. After that, I've never used the blue powder again. Lesson learned.
    Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM

I do the same with "Golden Threads" paper. It's better to rub the pounce over the backside of the paper after punching thru, as the roughness seems to grab the pounce and make a clearer line. I even use this on white fabric, just redirect your lighting a bit to get a good shadow.

Originally Posted by amh
    I use my pounce all the time, and absolutely love it. It is my favorite way of marking.

I make my own stencils by drawing designs on transparency film (If you are a little older you would know it as overhead film sheets), then sewing (without thread) the designs. I then rub the pouncer over the film and there is the mark. I have never had any trouble getting it off and usually it is wiped off too soon and I have to re-mark, but if I do get it in the wrong spot and I want it off now I use a slightly damp cloth and it wipes right away. I have only used the white chaulk, never the blue so I do not know how it would come out.

The trick to remember is: Although it is called a pounce, you wipe it across the stencil.

Friends have borrowed it to see if they like it, and some really like it, others don't. It would be great if some of the other quilters that you know have one and would loan it to you for a test run.

Aileen
    Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I bought it and could not get it too work for me. I need to dig it up and try it again or resell it.
    same here. followed the directions to a T and still get lousy coverage! it is messy!