Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prayer Quilt Question >

Prayer Quilt Question

Prayer Quilt Question

Old 06-10-2015, 06:39 AM

I've done two similar quilts recently. One was a signature/recovery quilt for my BIL who had a stem cell transplant. He was a teacher and I had all his students/co-workers/any former students/parents who wanted sign muslin rectangles that were ironed to freezer paper with the seam allowance penciled in.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521978[/ATTACH]

The second quilt was a collaboration with neighbors for a neighbor who was diagnosed with cancer. Also a recovery quilt. I precut all the blocks for a Yellow Brick Road quilt and distributed them to willing neighbors who sewed. Once done, they assembled at my house and we put them on the design wall, including the Comfort of Psalms 2 panel blocks. The one neighbor who didn't sew designed the label for all of us to sign.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521979[/ATTACH]

You are so kind to do this for her. My prayers go out to her for a complete recovery, both physically and mentally.
Attached Thumbnails dscf9979.jpg   recovery-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 06-10-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 AM

Ladies in church make tied prayer quilts. Just a few ladies actually work on them, then the congregation is invited to tie a knot and say a prayer at end of the service. There are no signatures.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I can't help you with a prayer quilt pattern, but I would think that any quilt with a blank space for signatures or prayers would work. So sorry for this poor woman, God bless her and I send prayers for healing, it's such a tragic thing to happen.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:56 AM

If I were a recipient of the quilt, instead of people writing directly on the quilt, I'd prefer a booklet with well-wishes and signatures. Perhaps a few inspirational Bible verses scattered around like the one Cloverbud did or the second one shown by Emilia. I personally think most signature quilts end up looking rather messy.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:44 PM

I use Word and printer fabric to print out inspirational Bible verses that I then cut to size and use in the quilt. Depending on how well I know the person (I do some for the nursing home), I have friends and family sign the back.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Please post pictures when you have it finished. Imho what ever you decide will be gratefully accepted and such a worthy cause.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:08 AM

My church pass out instructions for making a prayer quilt. You used a pattern of your choice and continued to say prayers of recovery while making the quilt. I think putting it for others to sign is also a great idea. From the instructions it was either a lap quilt or up to a twin bed size. Again any pattern of the makers choice. There also was instructions for making prayer wraps. I really hope she can accept her injuries and get well. Prayers for her.