Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prayer Quilt Question >

Prayer Quilt Question

Prayer Quilt Question

Old 06-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Default Prayer Quilt Question

We have a woman in our small community that was in a terrible tractor accident. She has lost one of her legs and up to the knee of the other. She also lost an arm and has had various internal problems. I'd like to make a prayer quilt for her but i'm not sure how to go about doing this. She was always involved in the church youth group and stayed involved in girl scouts and the school for as long as I can remember. She was a substitute and room mother when I was in school and also taught my kids. She is going through such a tough time and I think a prayer quilt would maybe lift her spirits and let her know just how many people here love her and pray for her daily. I have heard of prayer quilts but have no clue how to really do one or how to have people sign or whatever to it. I don't want it to be all scribbled up. I hate to say that but I'm just not a fan of scrappy or messy looking things. Any direction or help/suggestions would be awesome! Thanks in advance for your help. Also keep in mind I've only done about 6 or so quilts so far so I'm fairly new at this. LOL.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 PM

So sorry about the accident. She will need all the love and support she can get.
If you want people to sign it, the best way to make this neat and easy is to prepare a folder. A hanging file folder will work or a school folder. Glue a piece of fine sandpaper inside where the fabric will be.
Cut a hole in the cover of the folder the size that will show in the finished quilt. That way people can't write on the seam allowance.
Draw a line around the inside of that hole so you can see it when you open the folder.
Open the folder and draw where you want the fabric to be. Larger is better. Give yourself some room to trim.
Prepare fabric squares in very pale colors or white the correct size.
Give people the folder with the fabric inside and have them write with a pigma pen. (They won't wash out.)
Good luck. And bless you for doing this for her.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 PM

So sorry to hear this,such a terrible accident. I googled prayer quilts and found several ideas, maybe you will find some help there. Good luck on your project.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 PM

Take a look at the thread "Signature Quilts" in the home page tonight. There is a picture of exactly what I tried to tell you. No need for freezer paper. Just be sure to use pigma pens. I got a quilt from our quilting group, and after about 2 years one name was completely unreadable. Luckily I could figure out who it was and have them redo it.

Last edited by maviskw; 06-08-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Take a look at the thread "Signature Quilts" in the home page tonight. There is a picture of exactly what I tried to tell you. No need for freezer paper. Just be sure to use pigma pens. I got a quilt from our quilting group, and after about 2 years one name was completely unreadable. Luckily I could figure out who it was and have them redo it.
here is a link to that thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t266164.html
Old 06-09-2015, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

And here is a thread recently that shows a pattern that you might like to use http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t266140.html
Old 06-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

There doesn't seem to be any specific on making a prayer quilt. I would just make something that she will enjoy having. There are inspirational sayings printed on fabric:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Fabric-/2816...p2046732.m1684
Old 06-09-2015, 05:03 AM

I knew I had seen inspirational sayings in a quilt at a quilt show. Did some research. Found it. Go to www.talkingquilts.com and look up her inspirational messages of hope. She even has a pattern to use them with. Looks easy and you could have people sign a big piece of fabric and incorporate that in the backing. I also saw religious quotes of hope and I think it might have been from her also.

Talking quilts.com
Old 06-09-2015, 05:04 AM

Meant to add how tragic an accident and I hope she recovers nicely. I'm glad your church is there for the emotional support.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I knew I had seen inspirational sayings in a quilt at a quilt show. Did some research. Found it. Go to www.talkingquilts.com and look up her inspirational messages of hope. She even has a pattern to use them with. Looks easy and you could have people sign a big piece of fabric and incorporate that in the backing. I also saw religious quotes of hope and I think it might have been from her also.

Talking quilts.com
need to scroll down to talking quilting products.