Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wound Bobbins- M class vs L class >

Pre-wound Bobbins- M class vs L class

Pre-wound Bobbins- M class vs L class

Old 01-24-2021, 05:27 PM

Default Pre-wound Bobbins- M class vs L class

I am looking for pre-wound bobbins for my Handi Quilter long arm. It uses a M size bobbin. Has any one used a L size in their machine? I know that there is less thread on the L but it comes in more colors that I would like to use.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:38 PM

No you cannot use a size L in a machine built for a size M bobbin. The size L is much too small.
Why not load your own bobbins with whatever color you want to use?
Old 01-24-2021, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Peggi is right. The bobbins are not interchangeable.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Why not load your own bobbins with whatever color you want to use?
I have a hard time getting the wound correctly. The thread wants to load in the bottom of the bobbin distribute up and down the bobbin until I use my finger to help it wind up and down. Also I can't get it would tight enough. Any suggestions on either/both of the issues.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:54 PM
mkc

Have you watched the HandiQuilter videos for using the bobbin winder? They are very informative, including how to make sure your unit it set up to wind evenly.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:53 PM

Have you used glide bobbins?

61 colors here size L and M

https://www.fil-tec.com/Magna-Glide-Delights-Quilting
Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Have you watched the HandiQuilter videos for using the bobbin winder? They are very informative, including how to make sure your unit it set up to wind evenly.
Waited too long to be able to edit my post to add these links to HQ bobbin winder videos:

How to use Handi Quilter bobbin winder
How to setup, adjust and use the Handi Quilter Bobbinwinder
Old 01-25-2021, 07:46 AM

The M size bobbins for the Handi Quilter are large capacity and fit in the bobbin case that came with your machine. There are smaller size M and L bobbins for embroidery machines like Brother, Babylock etc. Those are smaller, they are the same size as the bobbins for a domestic sewing machine. Make sure you are purchasing the correct size for the Handi Quilter.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 AM

In my experience the glide pre-wound bobbins were the best and every color under the rainbow. Of course they cost a bit more but the quality is better. You know you are getting the right size for your machine. Never interchange one size for another.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:40 AM

Rainmaker, I have a Handi-quilter machine and have used the prewound L bobbins. When I first got my machine bought a box of bobbins from a shop and the lady said they would work for my machine, so I used them. Several boxes later I realized that they were L and that M is what I needed. So...I use filtec bobbins, both sizes (L for my smaller machines, M for LA) and order by the box. The centers are identical, if you save them and send back when you reorder, they give you credit for them. The only difference is the amount of thread wound on the bobbins. If still not sure, call Handi-Quilter to reconfirm. Just my opinion.Peace, Brenda