Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wound Bobbins "Sticking" >

Pre-wound Bobbins "Sticking"

Pre-wound Bobbins "Sticking"

Old 05-01-2023, 07:46 AM

Default Pre-wound Bobbins "Sticking"

I'm wondering if it's just me or if others have had this problem. Some pre-wound M class bobbins have "sticky" areas, where the thread doesn't come off the bobbin easily. For example, if you put the bobbin in your hand and pull up on the end of the thread, the bobbin comes with it. I've had the issue with both Superior pre-wound bobbins and Glide Magna Glide. There are usually 1 or 2 bobbins in a package that I end up having to throw away because of the issue.

I did call Superior and they said they had never heard of the issue before, but replaced a box of bobbins for me anyway. I know that many of the pre-wound bobbins are overwound, and I'll take several yards off and still have the sticky problem, as if they were wound incorrectly.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:50 PM

I use pre-wounds all the time and non of the issues you mentioned. Sometimes the end of the thread is hard to find but I usually get it. My machines takes the size A ones.

How does your machine respond when you use these bobbins? Do it run okay and stitch the design out?
Old 05-01-2023, 02:46 PM

I have the over-full problem and have to take some off before I put in a new bobbin, or else my machine gets angry. but I have not had a sticking issue.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
I use pre-wounds all the time and non of the issues you mentioned. Sometimes the end of the thread is hard to find but I usually get it. My machines takes the size A ones.

How does your machine respond when you use these bobbins? Do it run okay and stitch the design out?
I don't have the issue with my regular sewing machine bobbins, only the M type for my long arm.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:19 PM
Gay

I believe they are wound too tightly. When mine are half full and I use the thread cutter on my domestic machine the bobbin thread shrinks back inside and I have to take it out and make the tail longer, so the needle will pick it up again. For this reason I don't buy them any more, even for my quilting machine.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:27 AM

Instead of throwing them away, maybe you could re-wind the thread on a different bobbin.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:33 AM

I've had problems with the pre-wound magna-glide M bobbins. I've tried the magna-glide wound with glide thread and have constant tension issues with them on my Sweet Sixteen. I've tried removing the anti-backlash spring from the bobbin case and that didn't help. When doing my usual test for bobbin tension, they always lift the bobbin case off my hand, and no amount of adjustment to my bobbin case changes that. I even sacrificed a bobbin case by removing the screw from the tension spring (which means it's as loose as it can get) to see if that would solve the problem, but it didn't- every single one of the ones I have still lift the bobbin case off my hand. I don't know if the problem is with the magnets, or with how the thread is wound onto the bobbins. I can sometimes get a briefly satisfactory stitch by tightening the top thread way more than I would normally need to do and it doesn't last for more than a short while- like maybe 10 minutes of quilting. I've gone back to winding my own bobbins.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 05-03-2023 at 11:42 AM.