Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wound bobbins >

Pre-wound bobbins

Pre-wound bobbins

Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I am confused to how and when you would use prewound bobbins because in most of my quilting projects I find, for tension reasons, that I need to have the same type of thread top and bottom. Are they just for embroidery?
Since the prewounds tend to be polyester, I would only use them for embroidery.
Thanks for the info, that is what I thought, them being Poly so I knew I wouldn't use them on my quilting projects and any way I don't find winding bobbins a hassle I just, umm swear a little when they run out at a awkward place, which it the normal place :thumbdown:
Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM

I LOVE the pre-wound bobbins for quilting - I use a size L in my Singer 15's, Lady Kenmore 89, Kenmore 1802 and Kenmore 1803.

The shiny thread looks beautiful on the backs of the quilts I've used it on and a bobbin lasts a long time (a little over half an hour of steady FMQ)

I buy a gross of them for about $30 and I think I figured that with shipping, they were costing about 25¢ each. I use 6-12 bobbins per quilt. (I normally use more bobbins than that, so I think the bobbins hold quite a bit more thread than those I wind on the machine.

I'd like to find something similar with matte thread - maybe even in colors like natural, light grey and black. A very fine thread like this shiny stuff, only looks like cotton?

Anyone got a source for pre-wounds like that?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
size "M" is for longarms...size "L" is for regular machines. HOWEVER, not all machines can take them. Berninas, Husqvarna/Vikings, and Pfaff usually can not use any of the prewound bobbins.

Signature makes a nice cotton one, and Superior threads has the Alex Anderson Masterpiece threads...LOVE them both.

I have been using the Signature ones for about 10 years now. They fit my vintage singer, my Janome Jem platinum, and my Elna with no issues!

I use the NEBS plastic pre-wound bobbins in both my Husqvqrna/Viking D-1 and SE always have and I have never had a problem. Also use them in my Brother with out a problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by AudreyB
I use them in my Pfaff 7570 all the time. No problems. I was told that in this machine I should take the cardboard ends off, so that is what I do. Works great.
Taking one or both ends works on my Pfaff too. Buy them in cream and light grey and they last so much longer than when I wind bobbins myself. Have been able to use them with Clark and Mettler top threads without any problem. May in Jersey
Can you just use the sideless bobbins instead of taking the cardboard off?? I have a Pfaff and haven't used the prewound bobbins on it yet so I need to know the details before I order.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
size "M" is for longarms...size "L" is for regular machines. HOWEVER, not all machines can take them. Berninas, Husqvarna/Vikings, and Pfaff usually can not use any of the prewound bobbins.

Signature makes a nice cotton one, and Superior threads has the Alex Anderson Masterpiece threads...LOVE them both.

I have been using the Signature ones for about 10 years now. They fit my vintage singer, my Janome Jem platinum, and my Elna with no issues!
I have used Nebs and the cardboard ones in my Pfaff 7570 with no problem at all.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by magpiefeather
I have a ton of bobbins already wound. I also have a sidewinder, a gift I love, and I can't see getting prewounds but I guess my machine can't use them anyway.(Bernina virtuosa 153 QE). I can see the sense of using them for embroidery though.

I must be doing something wrong with my sidewinder. The tension isn't consistant. Is it the type of thread I use or the operator?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by AudreyB
I use them in my Pfaff 7570 all the time. No problems. I was told that in this machine I should take the cardboard ends off, so that is what I do. Works great.
Taking one or both ends works on my Pfaff too. Buy them in cream and light grey and they last so much longer than when I wind bobbins myself. Have been able to use them with Clark and Mettler top threads without any problem. May in Jersey
Can you just use the sideless bobbins instead of taking the cardboard off?? I have a Pfaff and haven't used the prewound bobbins on it yet so I need to know the details before I order.
I usually use leave the cardboard sides on but the ones I got from Superior threads seemed to need one of the sides to be taken off so it would fit easily into the bobbin holder. I like to use them when I'm doing a lot of chain piecing as they have so much more thread on them than the bobbins I wind myself. May in Jersey
Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Love them!!!