Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wound bobbins >

Pre-wound bobbins

Pre-wound bobbins

Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM

I use prewound for my LAQ machine (APQS Ultimate II) because I can never get the bobbins to wind tight enough for my satisfaction, but I think I should try harder and I will.....when I have time..... I order them from APQS - prices better than I have found elsewhere, but not an extensive assortment of colors.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:11 PM

You only want to use a 60-100 wt in the bobbin, wether prewound or not. This is for embroidery only. You won't find a thread that thin in cotton, not near strong enough to be that thin.

There is no reason not to use a poly prewound in your embroidery, or even in your sewing machines. Try a break test... take 18" of a cotton sewing thread, and 18" of a 60-100 wt bobbin thread and break them...it will take as much or more strength to break the poly bobbin thread as it does cotton.

Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
I'm doing a bit of on-line browsing today and came across pre-wound bobbins in a variety of attractive color tones. They seem awfully convenient.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...-set-2-pastel/
https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...-set-1neutral/

I have a Janome 4800QE and have yet to see pre-wound plastic bobbins with 100% cotton thread. I'm kind of reluctant to use cardboard-sided bobbins and, besides, I really don't want to use poly thread in the bobbin if I'm using cotton thread on top. What has your experience been with pre-wound bobbins? Thanks everyone!! I'll be waiting to hear from you.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Dee

I use them all the time. No trouble at all. I buy the in plastic from Threadart.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
I use a prewound bobbin bought at a quilting store with 100% cotton thread. I love them. Wish I knew what kind they were but they are class 15 bobbins and cost around 7.00 for 8 of them. But it been a while since I bought them.
Hi Karen,

There's a chance the ones you're using are "Fil-Tec" bobbins.
I have some as samples from a supplier, but haven't tried them yet. The propaganda, uhm,... sales sheet, that came with the samples said they come in L-type bobbins, in packs of 10, and class 15 in packs of 8.
Based on my cost, that retail is about right, maybe a touch high for US prices, but not astronomical.

http://www.fil-tec.com/category/45
Old 11-26-2012, 04:57 AM

I use them always on my Long Arm and they go forever. Love them!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Default Pre-wound bobbins

I had a 4800QE and upgraded it to a 6300...used pre-wound bobbins with the cardboard sides and they worked wonderful on both machines. I even use them on my 7700 Horizon. I purchase them from Superior. Hope you will try them for yourself.

Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
I'm doing a bit of on-line browsing today and came across pre-wound bobbins in a variety of attractive color tones. They seem awfully convenient.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...-set-2-pastel/
https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...-set-1neutral/

I have a Janome 4800QE and have yet to see pre-wound plastic bobbins with 100% cotton thread. I'm kind of reluctant to use cardboard-sided bobbins and, besides, I really don't want to use poly thread in the bobbin if I'm using cotton thread on top. What has your experience been with pre-wound bobbins? Thanks everyone!! I'll be waiting to hear from you.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Default pre wound bobbins

I use them all the time in several of my machines. With most of them you just take the cardboard off and put the bobbin in your machine or bobbin case.

You have to make sure that you don't get the ones that are strictly for embroidery and are a very thin thread. Also that you have the right size, there are size L which fits most machines that take the smaller bobbin and the M for the machines that take a class 15 bobbin.

Saves a lot of time not having to wind bobbins, as the prewound have usually anywhere from 80+ yards to over 100 yards of thread on them.

I too bought mine on EBay and watched for sales on them and have many basic colors. I have not had any problems with them being weak thread.