Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which precut for you? >

Which precut for you?

Which precut for you?

Old 10-21-2022, 11:55 AM

Default Which precut for you?

Just took a short look at Pinterest and noticed a quilt I liked that calls for layer cakes. Instantly I wondered which precut you use if any? I'm a jelly roll woman for some reason, maybe because it seems like someone's store always has them on sale. I really need to check out layer cakes sometime...too many cute patterns call for them.
Do you have a preference or do you just cut from your stash?.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:49 PM

I prefer Fat Quarters! Though my stash has many Layer Cakes and I have a drawer full of Jelly Rolls too. I have a few charm packs that I could not part with when I downsized my stash a few years ago.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I cut from stash but sometimes buy fat quarters to get a print I like.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:30 PM

Layer cakes, charms and some jelly rolls (mainly for binding) . that's about it.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:43 PM

I have bought jelly rolls, charm packs, layer cakes, and candy packs. I have opened one charm pack. I’ve decided I’m buying nothing smaller than a fat quarter pack going forward. If I find a pattern I like for one of the other precuts, I don’t have enough to make the size quilt I want. Also I’d rather do my own cutting. I hate the pinked edges!
Old 10-21-2022, 03:16 PM

Fat quarters and charm packs are my favorite!
Old 10-21-2022, 03:59 PM

i don't like the zig zag edges
Old 10-21-2022, 04:06 PM

I buy pre-cut fabrics only when I make a quilt pattern that calls for them. I like a few of Gudrun Erla's patterns (Kira is my favorite) and they usually call for layer cakes. Otherwise, I don't buy them to add to stash because I find they usually are not pre-cut very accurately.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:33 PM

I like the jelly rolls, honey buns, charms, and layer cakes. Usually the layer cakes get cut into 4 charm packs. I've gotten a few fat quarters, but I'm not a big fan of them as I have a lot of waste when I use them and tend to not have enough of one fabric design for the quilt I'm making and need to supplement it with yardage or buy a second fat quarter set which gives me even more orphan fabric.

If I need to name a favorites, right now it is jelly rolls, honey buns, and charms.

I couldn't find more jelly rolls (sold out every place I looked) for a certain fabric line that I needed, for a quilt I was planning and discovered didn't have enough jelly rolls for, so I'm using layer cakes from the fabric line, which when I did the math for what I need, was cheaper than fat quarters.

I really watch what I buy. Only buying from name brand fabrics and known to me fabric stores I have purchased from before. So far, knock on wood, my pre-cuts have been accurate cuts. I never buy off-brand pre-cuts.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 10-21-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

I buy mostly pre cuts. I cut almost all my block units using a Go die cut machine and the precuts fit best and save me a lot of time. I cut jellyrolls strips from yardage or fat quarters depending on the length I need. At my age my time is much more precious to me then not spending money to save time.