Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Precuts issues

Blog Entries

Precuts issues

I hate it when precuts are not the size they are supposed to be, or the edges are not straight. Does anyone else have this problem

I can't say that I have. Who have you bought precuts from?

That is why I have given up on precuts.. no matter how pretty the assortment.

One more reason that I don't buy pre-cuts.

This is one of the main reasons I don't buy precuts. Thanks but no thanks, I'll pick my own fabric and cut my own sizes.

Blog Entries
    Here is some help to sew them together when they are wonky

http://www.bearpawproductions.com/us...May%20Vary.pdf
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 05-14-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I was given a John Flynn laser cut kit by a friend. A drunkard's path sorta thing. Only each curve was clipped. I love doing curves and never clip!

Even when making clothes I make the notches go out and not into the seam line.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I have heard that some companies will replace them if they are not cut to the right size or cut on a slight bias.

Blog Entries
    There have been many many discussions on the board about this topic. So I'd say yes, you are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
    I hate it when precuts are not the size they are supposed to be, or the edges are not straight. Does anyone else have this problem
    No. I learned how to deal with my own wonkiness when I first started quilting. I learned how to make it come out straight on top and leave the imperfections on the inside.

I am the queen of buying pre-cuts - but I only buy Moda mostly and I have never had an issue with wrong sizes - I love them and use them often.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post

http://www.bearpawproductions.com/us...May%20Vary.pdf
    What a great tip! Thanks for posting this.

Blog Entries
    I have bought a few jelly rolls and few charm packs when budget was super tight but stay away from precuts they are expensive anyway
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I try not to buy precuts -- they give me fits when they are not straight. I have enough trouble straightening those printed blocks and panels.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I bought some Moda charm packs and they were not the correct size and were not square
    Sheena

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post

Duh ! Whbearpawproductions.com/userfiles/file/Strip%20Width%20May%20Vary.pdf
    Duh ! Why didn't I think of that. Great tip

Yes, I've had that problem. I saw this cute baby quilt at a guild show and bought the kit to make it for my first great granddaughter. They weren't exactly precuts, pieces that were supposed to be large enough to get 4 blocks...... nope.... there wasn't any way the pieces were large enough. I still have the kit.... haven't done anything with it. The great granddaughter will be 4 in June. I will probably adapt the kit to make something similar..... but it was not a cheap mistake. I'll never buy a kit again... it's not worth the frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I am the queen of buying pre-cuts - but I only buy Moda mostly and I have never had an issue with wrong sizes - I love them and use them often.
    I, too, have never had an issue with the Moda precuts-use them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    That is why I have given up on precuts.. no matter how pretty the assortment.
    same goes for me.

I use precuts quite a bit, but have only had problems with 1 manufacturer. I did call them and tell them, but it was kind of like...so what...i't was an old line of fabric, so they couldn't send me new ones (or so they said!!). Customer Service is a thing of the past...I just don't buy their line of fabric anymore!!

Blog Entries
    Moda pre cuts have never given me a problem. I love precuts, they make up most of my stash.
    Got fabric?

Yes! I have had that happen! I have so much fabric, I don't usually get precuts. But I did just recently get a charm pack from MSQC because it was a design I had been looking for. Anyway, the squares measured 5" x 5 1/4". To me, that's just NOT accurate enough! I can cut inaccurately myself - if I'm going to order a precut, it had better be dead on! I don't think I'll be getting anymore.

I just got a beautiful Jelly Roll from MSQC, Moda Circa 1835 (I think), so I was glad to read this as I had not thought about it. Thanks for the link to BearPaw Quilting, I will have to remember this when I get ready to sew them into something!

I recently opened a Hoffman Bali Pop, and was very disappointed to find that the strips were anything but straight! I laid them out on my cutting grid which showed the glaring imperfections, took a picture and emailed Hoffman Fabrics. I have used many of their bali pops and never had a problem before. Sadly, they have not even acknowledge my email. I am thinking that I will find it hard to purchase any more of their fabrics, let alone precuts. A simple "sorry, you encountered a problem" would have saved them a customer!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I bought some on clearance and now I know why. Was informed the pattern was being discontinued (I can deal with) but 25% of the Jelly Roll strips were 2-4" short. Thank goodness I only purchased it because it was on sale. You get what you pay for. as the saying goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast