Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seam allowances to one side not necessary. >

Pressing seam allowances to one side not necessary.

Pressing seam allowances to one side not necessary.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 PM

I believe I'll continue to press to the side. My personal opinion is that the seams are more protected that way. This is totally a personal choice issue so there is no right or wrong to it IMHO.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM

I had always pressed to the dark or pressed towards the outside or pressed towards the side with fewer seams - whatever fit that particular seam. However, when I started doing a Farmer's WIfe Sampler with so many seams pressing open just worked better. So now - if there are lots of seams - like doing a pinwheel - then I press open. Few seams? Press to the side.

I am an equal opportunity presser.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by GemState View Post
Interesting! However...most of the time it is easier to press them to one side than to press them open AND it makes it easier to lock seams together.
AMEN.

Unless the design is such that pressing the seam open is best.

ali
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM

I've done both ways - to the side or open. Which one depends on the patern and the bulk where points meet. With the bargello quilt, it was definitely easier to line up the strips with the seams pressed to one side. It ''locks' them together & I don't have to pin which speeds it up. I tend to press open with stars though.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 PM

I press open except where there is resistance or too much bulk.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM

I do both, if my pattern has places where several seams come together, I press open, less bulk. TIP: Try using one of those little wooden irons when opening seams to press; much easier to go over with your iron afterwards.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Interesting. Though I think this is one of those techniques that everyone needs to figure out what works best for them and for the project they are working on. Either way there is a lot of work to do with the iron.

Personally, I prefer pressing them to the side as I find that I'm better able to match corners when I have the opposing seam allowances to fit together.

Cheers, K
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
HA! The quilt I just finished piecing (Fracture) has 1/8" seams AND it called for pressing them open. THAT was NOT fun and not something I ever plan on doing again. To top it off, the fabric I was using wanted to fray a lot, and every time I handled it I would leave a trail of threads from the seam edges behind. I already know that because of the small seams and the fraying (and it is an LQS fabric I was using - Northcott I believe but not certain), I am going to have to some very heavy quilting on it to make sure it holds together. I don't trust it.

I can say this much ... I think when I press seams to one side the chance that I'll iron in "bowing" is much greater than when I press seams open. That's the only good thing that came out of that 1/8" open seam experience.
Ugh! 1/8 in. seams!!?? How awful. Why did the seams have to be so small? I've been thinking that I don't really like 1/4 in. seams either. Especially when the fabric is ravelly. What is the reasoning behind the very narrow seams? I realize that if the seams were 5/8 in as in garment sewing, it would take more fabric to make the quilt, but boy, it would be so much easier with less chance of seams coming out and such. With the 5/8 seams, ironing the seams open on the quilt would be so easy. Would using 5/8 in. seams set the quilting world on it's ear?? :-)
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM

I press my seams to the dark side (but not always). Sometimes seams have a mind of their own so I will press the seam the way it wants to go. Other times I press the seam open. It's whatever works best.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM

I dont always press them... sometimes NEVER!
I usually finger press while sewing, then give the quilt top a quick once over with the iron after it is completed