Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressure feet not covering feed dogs >

Pressure feet not covering feed dogs

Pressure feet not covering feed dogs

Old 05-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Gay

Like Peggy, I use the normal foot on my Brother machines. The edge of the fabric aligns with the right edge of the foot and I move the needle about 7 clicks to get that 1/4" seam. Some blocks on the current quilt I'm doing seem to require scant seam allowances and others 1/4+ to get the correct size blocks, and moving the needle is the most convenient method.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:10 AM
Power Poster

Most of my machine feet do not cover the feeddogs, I never thought of it as any type of problem. I think of the 24 feet I have one of them is wide and covers the feeddogs, and in the 15 years of owning the machine I've only used that foot once- in the new owners class where we used each foot. Even my walking foot isn't that wide. It has never caused any problems are effected my sewing straight. You can make a guide or purchase one if you need it. I used to use a stack of post it flags. I also have a thick rigid one I bought years ago in a class. Assume the dealer did give you the correct foot and try it out. I bet it will be fine.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
My Pfaff QE 4.0 is like that so I don't use the 1/4 foot. I use a regular foot and adjust my needle to the right so that the edge of the foot to the needle is a scant 1/4.
This is exactly what I do, I don't care for the foot with a guide, most don't won't work properly, just move needle over , works for me
Old 05-04-2017, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

The foot with guide works great for me. Just wish I could get one for the wide feed dogs.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 AM

I have 2 Brother machines. They both have the much larger feed dogs. I bought a 1/4" foot at WalMart. I am not sure if it was this one or not, but it is very similar. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-1-...05-P/183462955 Mine cost about $10.00 and I got it about a month ago. The beauty is that you can take it back if it doesn't work. The wider foot part behind the quarter inch measurement works great to stay on the feed dogs. I use the opposite side which is 1/8" to sewn my bindings. I don't do hand sewing. If I get by WalMart today, I will get a picture of the one I bought and post it. The only bad thing about the foot is that it will hang up on the HST seams if they are ironed down towards the foot. I, too have tried using the standard Brother sewing foot and can't get an accurate scant quarter inch. The standard quarter inch is fine using the regular sewing foot.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:27 AM

It sounds to me like you have a machine with 7mm feed dogs and you were sold a foot for a 5mm feed dog.. I would protest loudly to your dealer. Take your machine with you and look for a foot for the wider feed dog. If no satisfaction call Brother for assistance
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 AM

My first response is to not go back to that dealer. I would send an email to the company (they usually have a contact us link on their websites). Explain your concern and ask if it is normal. I would not mention anything about the dealer or his response. They are usually good about getting back to you. Be fairly exact with your description (sending a pic would be outstanding). If they do say that the foot is incorrect, then tell them about the dealer so they might correct him.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by unclefreckles View Post
It sounds to me like you have a machine with 7mm feed dogs and you were sold a foot for a 5mm feed dog.. I would protest loudly to your dealer. Take your machine with you and look for a foot for the wider feed dog. If no satisfaction call Brother for assistance
The foot fits the machine. It was my fault for not explaining what I wanted in the foot and the seller's fault for not telling me the limitations of the foot. Unless Brother makes a foot that is single hole for the needle to be all the way to the right no 1/4" foot will fit over the right feed dogs. I went to a local dealer and he explained it to me.