Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewashing Bright Red and White Fabric >

Prewashing Bright Red and White Fabric

Prewashing Bright Red and White Fabric

Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 AM

I am in process of a queensized OSU quilt, and it is almost all reds and white. I prewashed everything (separate color groupings), including all whites, blacks and grays, adding a bit of retayne to set the dye. Now I won't ever have to worry about reds bleeding onto the whites. I, personally, don't get much bleed with printed fabrics, mostly have issues with solids....have no idea why the difference either. But regardless of print or solid, it all gets washed beforehand. Some fabrics just don't need starch before cutting....others do. I guess it depends on how stiff you want the fabric. JMHO
Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 AM

Just to clarify i am not planning to mix washed and unwashed blocks. I am new to quilting and am trying new things. I will wash everything related to this swap. Thanks for the good advice. I can see how mixing the two woyld cause problems!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! What is Reytan (sp)?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Get some retayne from your quilting shop and use it with hot water. We also put in liquid starch at same time and the iron it when done. Simple.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM

Another dedicated pre-washer (abuser) here - hot water, hot dryer.

If I am washing yardage (at least 2 yard pieces) I wash on delicate cycle. If I am washing smaller cuts I wash on delicate cycle but I leave the lid open so it doesn't agitate at all (I control the rinse cycle as well - but let it spin normally). I can avoid a lot of fraying and tangling this way.

Something like a red and white I wash in very hot water with a small amount of detergent and synthropol and a color catcher. After the wash cycle is complete I remove the color catcher, and wash it again in hot water with a fresh color catcher. If the second color catcher comes out clean, I toss it in the dryer. If the second one comes out with color, I'll repeat the hot washes until the color catcher is clean.

As QuiltE mentioned ... some reds can surprise me and not bleed at all, others that I wouldn't think would bleed ... bleed like a stuck pig. I washed a Northcott black print 4 times once. Ugh! There really is no rhyme or reason to what will and what won't bleed ... although batiks are usually suspect.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I am a washer. Use retanyne, color catchers, and starch.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I have never used color catchers before.

The first thing I do is test the fabric to see if it will run.

Hot tap water and a clear glass jar, bowl or measuring cup. Dip a corner of the fabric in the hot water and let it steap for a minute + or -. Sometimes you see immediatly that the fabric runs, others take that little bit of time to start to release excess dye. Others don't bleed at all.

If slight bleeding is the result then I would just wash it. If heavier bleeding use whatever product works in the washer to stop the bleeding.

why waste the money on using the product if you don't have to.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:16 PM

It's been my experience that printed red and white fabrics didn't run. Mostly solids have run. Color Catchers are great and I swear by Retayne. Having said that red and white fabrics didn't run, I would never say never and still test the fabric, but I have had good luck so far.
Sue
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM

I agree with the poster who said to prewash using LOTS of water. And let the reds soak in the water until its cold.

As far as starching, you can certainly starch if you want to, but it's not necessary. If you do decide to starch, starch what you think you will use before cutting. I've found if I starch after I cut, it's too easy for the fabric to get distorted.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

You are not supposed to use color catchers in a front loader. Says so right on the box. I used to use them in my old machine and just tossed one in my new washer not knowing. It grabbed the color all right, then deposited it on a light colored garment (i think during the spin). It stuck to the shirt and left a nice little square of color.

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
That's the advantage of the Shout or Dr. Beckmann's products ... you don't have to hang around and try to figure it out. It grabs up the dye

For all ... please keep in mind that the Colour Catchers/Collectors do not stop colour bleeding for future washes. It is not a treatment. It may take several washes before bleeding stops ... or a Retayne treatment to do the job.