Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewashing fabric, can you clarify some questions for me? >

Prewashing fabric, can you clarify some questions for me?

Prewashing fabric, can you clarify some questions for me?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 AM

Is there any certain things to do..such as wash with my regular load or wash by itself?
I separate my fabric as I do my clothes. If its a large piece in the wash it goes, if smaller than a yard I put in a laundry bag and wash in the washer (you can also do this with strips).

Could I just soak it in a sink and then rinse it in the washer?
Yes

Do I put it in the dryer or let it air dry?
I put everything in the dryer to shrink it.

What type of cleaner do I put in with it or any at all? Laundry detergent

I also noticed somewhere that someone put it in a bag (mesh I think) and then into the washing machine. What's the purpose of this.. to minimize the fraying?
Yes

If I'm appliquing and only will be using a small piece of a fabric do I need to wash that as well? I always wash all my fabrics. If its a small piece I would at the very least run it under water to see if it'll bleed.

What about the colors bleeding and ruining all my fabric?
You can purchase a product called Color Catcher to put in the machine with your fabric.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I had acquired this really cute skirt that had appliqued flowers on it and gave it to a friend.

It desperately needed to be washed. She washed it. The flowers shrank A LOT - and puckered.

I firmly believe EVERYTHING that may be washed in the future should be washed/shrunk/dried/pressed or ironed before it's cut.

It is more work. I understand wanting to cut into that nice, new fabric right away.

I think Not washing the fabrics before cutting them is right up there with having unprotected sex. Most of the time, there probably will not be a problem. But I think prevention is SO worth while -

And why/how do I know this? Red blotching on to white. Puckered appliques. Fabric that had excess dye (Michael Miller black, for one example) Fabric that would not stop coloring the water -

My belief is that if it doesn't have good manners at this stage of the game - I'm not going to use it and have it muck up the rest of the project.

There are others that go straight to the cutting board with their new goodies.

As you will notice, there are varying viewpoints on this subject.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I prewash my fabrics in the same manner that the finished quilt will be washed.
Usually warm water and detergent :D:D:D
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 AM

I used to work at a Dry Cleaners and something I was taught was to add a cup of Vinegar to the wash water to "set" the dyes in cottons. As with all cottons reds with reds, blacks with blacks etc. Add the fabric, let it agitate for a few minutes and then let the fabric soak for about 20 minutes. Then run the cycle as usual. The vinegar helps the dyes to set or not migrate and hopefully will not bleed later on. Always if you are not sure about a fabrics dyes, wash it alone. You will save yourself from the heartache of seeing a wonderful fabric you love to be ruined and more often than not will be permanent. Also, check fabrics when you take them out of the washer. If you catch bleeds before they dry in the dryer the chances of reversing the damage is much better.
I hope this helps. :-D
Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 AM

I do not perwash my fabrics, as I want it to shrink AFTER I quilt the quilt, gives it nice aged look. and I only use synthrapol SP to wash quilts with. It is a textile detergent, I also use for my hand dyed favric.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 AM

I just throw it in with my regular wash load on hot. If it's a questionable color for bleeding, I'll put a color catcher or two in with it. I unfold it all before putting it in and sometimes I will put fat quarters in a mesh bag (that's if I can find my mesh bag). I don't use fabric softener in anything so that's never a concern anyway. I put it in the dryer along with the regular load.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

I prewash for exchanges and round robins. For myself I like the puckered and aged look it gets when I wash it after finishing the quilt. Just the way I like it.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM

I recently cut 18" squares and then decided to wash them. The shrinkage varied from none to 1/2 "/ You are all smart. I will prewash from now on!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Color catchers are great but they do not stop heavily dyed fabrics from bleeding over and over again. I have always used vinegar to set the dyes but I do know there is a product on the market that does the same thing. I like the vinegar because then I know what is on my fabric. (allergies here) I do not know the chemicals that are in the other product. (sorry the name of it escapes me, but I believe someone here knows the name)
I hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM

I usually don't prewash unless it is a bleeder type of fabric. I soak it in the sink and blot dry and hang it in the shower.