Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • prewashing fabrics >
  • prewashing fabrics

• prewashing fabrics

Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM

No controversy here...just preference. I always prewash because I've had quilts that have bled and shrunk too much. Also there are a ton of chemicals in unwashed fabric. And if you buy fabric second hand, sometimes even bugs!
    Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
    Banned

If I buy yardage, I do prewash. If it's fat quarters, which I don't buy often, I don't. I am a little sensitive to the formaldehyde (that is probably not spelled right :oops: ) that a lot of fabric is treated with, so I wash it. Otherwise, I cough and sneeze like crazy.

Sometimes the fabric looks just like it did when I bought it after it's washed, and sometimes not. If it looks "tired" after I wash it, I'll iron it with starch or sizing.
    Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 AM

I was like a kid in a candy shop. I went to a quilt shop to sign up for an applique class. I bought all of my supplies and fabric while I was there. I got my fabric home, unfolded it and started looking at the patterns and thread, trying to use my window templates to figure out placement to fussy cut leaves, looking at the texture, etc...very shortly after unfolding the fabric my eyes got watery and I got a runny nose. I didn't think much of this, thought maybe I was getting a cold. I took my fabric to the wash room to prewash, partically dry and press as my quilt shop suggested. When I started laying out my fabric to start cutting pieces, no watery eyes or runny nose. The next time I bought fabric and got it home, started looking at it, the same thing happened, watery eyes and a runny nose. When I went to my first applique class at the same quilt shop I secretly went around, I know this sounds silly, but I secretly went around the shop sniffing the fabric. Again, I got watery eyes and a runny nose. I'm a crazy lady about smells and odors. I don't have pets and no one in my house smokes and I can usually pick up on a persons clothing, if I get close to them, that they have pets or someone smokes. I didn't smell any of these odors at the quilt shop. It was clean and very tidy. It had to be the fabric. I went to Joann's and the same thing happened. Wow! I love my applique class and I hope prewashing my fabric stops all of these symptoms. The ladies in the class are so friendly and nice. When the ladies at the quilt shop suggested I prewash, I thought, well, ok, maybe. I will most definitely prewash from now on...I wonder exactly what is on/in that fabric for this to happen to me. What are we all breathing in when we work with fabric??
    Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, you will find that everyone has a personal preference on this subject :D:D:D
    Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM

I ran up against this just this past weekend. I made a quilt with a jelly roll. So after it was completed (top only) I threw it in the wash. Only soaked it for a minute, then into the dryer. I don't like the puckered look at all. Next I threw the dark red boarder fabric in (three times) to get it to quit bleeding. Then in went the batting, Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. Batting in the dryer on air, but then low because it wasn't getting dry.
    Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 AM

I always pre-wash my fabrics. The ends will fray and that is fine. I don't sweat the small stuff. My daughter, the 14 yr old, will help me clip the threads and fold the fabric before it goes into my sewing room. That way I know it is done and reduce the chances of shrinkage later.
    Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM

[quote=Wagoza]I always pre-wash my fabrics. The ends will fray and that is fine.

Try using a zig zag blade in your rotary cutter and you will end the fraying. Just cut about 1/4 inch off each raw end.
    Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Pre-wash, gently. When I was working the sewing factory floor, I often hung new, cut fabric over my shoulder or around my neck when hurrying from task to task. Sometimes this caused skin irritation or even rash. Did not happen to my hands--tougher skin, maybe. So, pre-wash fabric because of dye/chemical residue AND pre-wash new clothing for the same reason PLUS--you cannot imagine how many hands an item goes through in production.
    Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM

i prewash, i don't like the puckered look at all.
    Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Yes, everyone has their own opinion on this. I have to admit that I am baffled by the people who will prewash because they don't want to be exposed to chemicals but will still use that spray basting aerosol.