Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
prewashing fabrics >

prewashing fabrics

prewashing fabrics

Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Wash before you use. There are chemicals placed on the fabrics to prevent bug problems in storage and shipment. I am allergic to something in prewashed fabric and it can be very hard on your hands. Also you do not know what you are breathing. Treat the fabric like it will be treated later.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 AM

I've been washing, starching and ironing all of my fabrics lately. Unless I'm making a rag quilt, then no pre-washing.I have a high efficiency machine with a delicate cycle that really doesn't agitate the fabrics at all and so I don't have the thread mess. I pre wash to see how the fabrics behave when washed (look for bleeding etc) and so they will be pre-shrunk. I don't think it is an absolute must though. Just whatever you prefer. Unless you get some stinky fabric :)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by maktub
There seems to be controversy about this, does one, or doesn't one prewash fabrics?

And if you do prewash how do you prevent your fabric from pulling threads at the cut ends? At the moment I run my overlocker over the ends before I do wash fabric, but it can be quite a lenghty job

M
Do whatever seems best to you. This is one of those subjects that people who do wash, will wash, and people who don't wash, won't. It's sort of like ironing pillow cases. I don't and won't; my best friend even irons T shirts.and To each his/her own. froggyintexas
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 AM

I always prewash. I would rather the fabric shrink before I set it in a quilt. To keep the fabric from raveling, cut bias across each corner. This works for me.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM

Cut the corners. It works.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Ok, so do you always wash before giving it away?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Joselake
Ok, so do you always wash before giving it away?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If it's for a baby quilt, I do tend to wash because I have cats and sometimes babies can be sensitive to pet dander. If it's just an ordinary "just because" gift, I do. But, if it's for a wedding, I want it to be fresh and I think it looks freshest when it's just off the machine...though I don't let the cats anywhere near the sewing room when I'm making those quilts and I thoroughly clean and disinfect the sewing room before I start those quilts. So many people have pet allergies now.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM

I always prewash and dry before using any and all fabrics. Most of the fabric we purchase today is imported. Do you know what is used on it? How many thing imported have been recalled for reasons that are harmful to us or our pets? I have had reactions in the past and do not want anymore. I deal with the fraying. I wash FQ in a laundry bag.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

There has always been a controversy as long as I've been a quilter to wash, to not wash. I think it's personal preference, but I prefer to prewash my fabric when I get it, then in a perfect world, it is all ironed and ready to be cut into beautiful quilts. Occasionally I will not run the dryer until the fabric is completely dry and then it's a snap to iron. Don't do this in summer, however. To cut down on the fabric raveling but cut diagonally across all 4 corners of the fabric, as this seems to help. Jut a tip I picked up years ago.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

i was taught many years ago by my quilting teacher to wash all fabric and i do even muslin that is just me