Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewashing problem solved! >

Prewashing problem solved!

Prewashing problem solved!

Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 AM

If you use a pinking or wavy blade with your ruler, watch you don't take a chunk out of the corner! yup....it happens
Old 08-02-2020, 07:13 AM

I always toss a large towel in with the fabric for the dryer (I toss in a clean dry towel). For me, it makes a world of difference. I prewash everything - and I do buy a lot of larger yardages. I don't do anything about the edges, but I will snap off any longer frayed threads before putting it in the dryer. When the threads are wet, I can snap them off without needing the scissors. Can't do that when they are dry.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:23 AM

I always prewash my fabrics. I put my dark fabrics in with the dark clothes and the lights in with a light colored load. I have not had any trouble. Sometimes I pull the fabrics out of the dryer when they are a little damp and they iron up nicely then.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:45 AM

I never thought to put my new fabrics in with sheets or colored fabrics in with colored clothes. The thought never crossed my mind. I do put things on gentle cycle most of the time which prevents the twisting but then in the dryer things tend to twist up some. I try not to pre wash fabrics more than 3 yards a piece either. That is about as much as I can handle. I am getting some fabrics ready for dying and I always cut into 1 yd. sections before putting into the potash. Dying 1 yd at a time is much easier and it is less likely to twist up when back in the washer.
Thanks for this tip. I may find myself pre washing more fabrics.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
Oh, I could definitely be on board with a pinking rotary cutter!
I am literally obsessed with mine. I have two 45mm rotary cutters and one is dedicated just for my pinking blades.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:11 AM

If something is delicate or has embellishments, I put in a pillowcase and tie a knot in the end before tossing in washing machine.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
If something is delicate or has embellishments, I put in a pillowcase and tie a knot in the end before tossing in washing machine.
never thought about using a pillowcase, thanks.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I washed and dried 4 yard cuts of fabric. About 2 loads of them. Suppose to be 100% cotton, I only dry 4yds at a time, they came out a wrinkled mess. A week or so later I had bought more 4 yd cuts. Only this time I threw in a bounce sheet and they came out perfect. I use they sheets over for 3 more loads. I have a large capacity dryer.