Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prewound bobbins vs other

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingsavta
    I also use the pre-wound for embroidery and then wind my own for other sewing. It's true, less bobbin changes and that's important when you are doing a big design that can take over an hour to do.
    I agree. I use them exclusively for embroidery. There is way more thread on them than you could possibly wind on a bobbin yourself. I value my time too when I am embroidering a large design. I guess that is why they have so many choices!!! :P :P

Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant
    Does anyone use bobbin thread for piecing?
    I don't, It is finer than sewing thread.

Blog Entries
    I use prewound bobbins for my Viking embroidery unless I am making the embroidery to be seen on both sides and then I use the embroidery thread. My LA came with a dozen prewound bobbins and it also winds a bobbin when/or when not quilting.

I love your math.
    Grammy Lena

I love your math.
    Grammy Lena

Once I bought pre-wound bobbins and that was because I had a million rags ripped to sew for rag rugs and I sewed for a week just to get them all done, now I have to find some one that will have a weaving loom to do them for me. Also because it is a dieing art the price is high, but the rugs have a very long life time and I love them. What can I sell to pay for them?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I only use the prewound...much more thread on them, so less time making bobbins!

I used my vintage Bernina 830 this week and really missed my prewound bobbins....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
    Once I bought pre-wound bobbins and that was because I had a million rags ripped to sew for rag rugs and I sewed for a week just to get them all done, now I have to find some one that will have a weaving loom to do them for me. Also because it is a dieing art the price is high, but the rugs have a very long life time and I love them. What can I sell to pay for them?
    try aunt philly's toothbrush rag rug making tool!

LOL, I just found those bobbins. Havent used any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
    I have never bought a prewound bobbin, I have a Sidewinder and it has performed for me like a trooper. I too wind several at a time for a project.
    As for having someone make your rag rugs, there is an Amish woman at Dalton who weaves rugs. My mother used to but she is long gone and I didn't inherit the loom.

Carol J.

Banned
    You are correct - there are other reasons to use prewound bobbins other than price. If peixw alone is considered it doesn't make sence.

OK - know does anyone use a prewound bobbin on top if you buy the cotton prewound ones?
    Also - where is the best place to buy prewound?

Both my machines are Berninas and was told to never use pre wound bobbins. I wouldn't spend the extra money buying pre wound bobbins either.

I use pre wound bobbins on embroidery and wind my own for everything else.

I would like to hear a little more about the VERTICAL (sp?) bobbin winder - I have one of those sidewinders and don't like it. Is the vertical a stand-alone unit that anyone can use or built on a specific sewing machine?

Also, I read in my Pfaff manual that you should wind your bobbins on a slower speed - that you will get more on them? Any thoughts on that one? I have tried applying just a hint of pressure on the thread as it is loading but worried about stretching the thread.

Marysewfun

You can get prewound bobbins on a cardboard bobbin and some are just rolled onto a core without any sides or you can pull the cardboard sides off. Those should work in most any if not all machines.

I use the "used" prewounds for piecing all the time. It doesn't bother me too much to run out of bobbin thread when I'm piecing and there is still plenty left on the bobbin but not enough to trust finishing a pass on the quilter.

The thinner thread helps with that fussy scant 1/4" seam. I haven't tried the cotton prewounds--only the 2 ply poly and I just love them. I get most of mine from: http://www.shoppersrule.com but I have ordered them when they are on sale from http://www.baysidequilting.com Another place with good prices on thread & other quilting supplies is http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutnso
    Do prewound bobbins fit all makes of machines???
    Curious, Kutnso
    you can find prewound bobbins in nearly every size if you look for them on the internet.

Would you be so kind as to say which bobbin winder you bought. And price please. Thanks, Diane

I went online and bought 100 extra bobbins for my machine so now depending on how big my project is I wind several before I start it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IfuPleasEM
    Would you be so kind as to say which bobbin winder you bought. And price please. Thanks, Diane
    I bought the Sidewinder and I love it. I have never had a problem with it. It does not work on the Viking bobbins but it works great for my Pfaff and Brother bobbins. And of course all of my vintage machines. It was 20.00 on sale at a quilt show that I attended. You can use your Joanns coupons also.

Blog Entries
    The prewound bobbins do make a difference (good difference)in the quality of finished product of an embroidered item. Sometimes I use them in regular sewing and other time I will load the bobbins myself.

I totally agree......I'm impressed that you've done all the math for us.

Prewounds hold more thread. I recently finish quilt 45x57
    It is pieced and I did FMQ. I only used not quite 2 bobbins. I don't think I will ever wind a bobbin again.

Except for machine embroidery and bobbin work, I like to have the same thread in top and bottom, so wind my own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingsavta
    I also use the pre-wound for embroidery and then wind my own for other sewing. It's true, less bobbin changes and that's important when you are doing a big design that can take over an hour to do.
    This is what I do also. NEBs for embroidery and wind your own for everything else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast