Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Prewound bobbins vs other

I have found prewounds (92 yds) to be wound far tighter than I can wind them....'cause I don't get anything CLOSE to that much on the bobbins I wind myself and therefore, I have to change them much less frequently. And I don't have to use my cone or spooled thread in my bobbins.

I use them for embroidery b/c there's so much thread on them and I don't have to change bobbins as often. Bobbin thread is also thinner than regular thread so there isn't as much build up.

I buy the cardboard sided bobbins for my machines by the gross, and many times there are excellent buys. This weekend Shoppers Rule had them on sale for under $30 for 144 bobbins. If I didn't have a couple gross already, I probably would have bought more :-)

Dee
    I use pre wound bobbins for embroidery work.

I bought prewound because I wanted the bobbins, Also. Two birds, one stone so to speak. Plus saved a lot of time. I also have prewound for my embroidery machine.

Blog Entries
    Talking about the bobbin thingy we dont get the prewound here , but thinking on ,,,,,,,a 1000 gutterman thread here is close to 12 dollars :)

I used prewounds before I got my bobbin winder many years ago....winding them was a nightmare for me...now it's a breeze with my Bengal winder and actually fun. I also envied all my friends that never had problems winding on their machines but it was an awful experience for me. Guess I was just one of those machine bobbin winder disasters and believe me I had lots of help and tried over and over again...it just did not ever create smooth, even bobbins so I guess you could have called me machine bobbin challenged.

Keep in mind, sometimes the prewound bobbins don't fit right into your sewing machine.

I have an older model Singer and the prewound bobbins didn't sit snuggly into my machine. I complained to my service provider my machine was skipping stitches. After looking at the machine he told me the bobbin I had was the wrong size. Once I put the right bobbin in, no skipping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I buy the prewounds for embroidery bobbin thread. They are wound much tighter, more even and I find I go through fewer bobbin changes. For my regular piecing and machine quilting, I wind my own bobbins but I did purchase a bobbin winder (not that sidewinder thing) that feeds vertically and winds almost as tight as the commercial prewounds.

It all comes down to what you care to spend your time and money for I guess.
    Some LAs use the prewound because of the very touchy tension issues.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I agree. I wind 10 or so bobbins at a time. I mostly use cream or gray, because I do scrappy quilt. Winding bobbins is just part of the progress like putting on binding. I love the whole process:)
    Just exactly my feelings.

I buy the prewound bobbins for my Janome embroidery machine and then use the empty ones so I don't have to buy new ones for my regular Janome, I have found when they are on sale the price is comparable and Janome has to have a certain size bobbin

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki and Co.
    I totally agree......I'm impressed that you've done all the math for us.
    :) I was a budget analyst in my previous life (before retiring) --- it comes natural....LOL

I only buy PW bobbin thread for embroidery but I also do my own as well for embroidery. I found that Madeira bobbin thread that I wind works great in machine embroidery without screw ups. Had a spool of Coats & Clarks bobbin thread and for some reason the machine hated it. Never again will I buy that brand.

I'm with you! I found a site for 'bulk' buying and they were really inexpensive.......huge selection of color! I haven't bought any in at least 3 yrs after the initial investment (which as I said was very reasonable). The shops sell what I bought for 2-3X what I paid. Do some searching if it is of interest to you! I like the idea of winding several before starting a project though-I will also try that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Bear with me, please, but I don't understand why anyone buys prewound bobbins. A simple calculation --- I checked on prices at the Connecting Threads website. Here's what I found:

Prewound - 82 yds ea for 12 bobbins = 984 yards at $9.99. This calculates at $.010 per yard

Spool of thread - 1200 yards at $2.49 = $.002 per yard

Cone of thread - 5000 yards at $9.99 = $.0019 per yard

So a cone of thread will net you 5 times the amount of bobbins compared to prewound.

OR -- another way....you can save $50.00 by buying a cone and winding the thread yourself.

Am I missing something??? More money to buy fabric!!!!!

dee
    I have a BabyLock Quilter's Choice Professional machine on a frame to do my quilting. It is a ROYAL pain to wind bobbins on this setup. The regular bobbins for this machine will not wind on my Sidewinder or on any of my other machines.

So....I buy prewound bobbins for it. It's certainly worth my time and energy to spend the little extra for them.

same here I buy my embroidery thread pre wound but do my own machine bobbins on a sidewinder.

Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant
    Does anyone use bobbin thread for piecing?
    I do.
    I bought a Marathon 12,000 yd cone 50w and I use this for peicing top & bottom.
    I've been using this for 9 months & I sew everyday!!
    I still haven't made a dent in it. lol
    I love it.

I also use pre-wound on my long arm.
    I can go alot further with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carron
    The prewound bobbins do make a difference (good difference)in the quality of finished product of an embroidered item. Sometimes I use them in regular sewing and other time I will load the bobbins myself.
    Same here. I have also used the balance of the pre-wound thread and regular bobbins (after your machine says change bobbins because you are low) - I have used up the rest of that thread in the top of machine sewing. I was a post-war baby and my mom taught me not to waste anything if at all possible, thread included. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marysewfun
    Quote Originally Posted by Carron
    The prewound bobbins do make a difference (good difference)in the quality of finished product of an embroidered item. Sometimes I use them in regular sewing and other time I will load the bobbins myself.
    Same here. I have also used the balance of the pre-wound thread and regular bobbins (after your machine says change bobbins because you are low) - I have used up the rest of that thread in the top of machine sewing. I was a post-war baby and my mom taught me not to waste anything if at all possible, thread included. :-)
    Same here! I use every little bit of it. When I am embroidering I just watch it really close and let the bobbin run out then stop it immediately, change out bobbin, and back up the stitching to a stitch or two before the stitch it ran out on. I don't like to waster any thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3