Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Price of fabric

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone: I'm a fairly new quilter and I have the opportunity to purchase fabric from a lady who has inherited material. She has a lot but lots are less than a yard and others are anywhere from 1-3 yards. I think they are good material, can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay because she is not a quilter and doesn't know what to charge. I don't want to pay to much but also don't want to rip her off. I appreciate any help.

Blog Entries
    are you buying bulk or picking just the ones you want?

Pick up an arm load, offer her $10.00 and she can decide if that's enough. Usually the heirs just want to be rid of stuff. If she's struggling economically, increase your initial offer.

Blog Entries
    I'm buying in bulk. She is a young mother who is trying to help out with finances at home. She has bins and bins of material. She said she had 11 of just kids material alone. A Great Aunt passed away who was a hoarder, 15 room house filled. So she has a ton of fabric.

Blog Entries
    Wow! What fun you could have! U could offer her so much a bin? $20-25??

Blog Entries
    I know but she is in the states and I'm in Canada. She is sending as much as I want this weekend with a friend so I want to make a decision by Thursday. What to do, what to do. I really lucked out here since I really don't have much of a stash.

Whatever you don't like you could probably sell and make your money back anyway..find out what she needs "financially'. If you can help her out make her and deal give her what she needs,

I had to look at your avatar twice!! That is soo cute...looks like my GrandPup in glasses...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DaleD
    I know but she is in the states and I'm in Canada. She is sending as much as I want this weekend with a friend so I want to make a decision by Thursday. What to do, what to do. I really lucked out here since I really don't have much of a stash.

Blog Entries
    He is my buddy, his name is Wynner (winner) he is a goldendoodle

Blog Entries
    I asked a friend of mine who is a quilter and she suggested $5.00/lb for scraps less than a yard and $2.00 a yard for the pieces that are a yard or more, what do you think about that?

I think that's more than fair. And don't forget, anything you can't use, you can either sell or donate. For example, the Quilting Board here has a Classified Section where some people get rid of what they don't want in their stashes.

I'd say this is a real windfall, if a stash is what you want!

Blog Entries
    Is the fabric 100% cotton. You might want to confirm that before making any offer.

Power Poster
    If its for quilting, look for 100 % cotton on the selvage. Also look for name brands like V.I.P., Cranston, Moda etc. It's not that you can't use poly/cottons but they do need different treatment than all cotton. You can send a sample piece of fabric with your friend if she isn't a quilter and have just get the fabrics that look and feel similar?

Blog Entries
    yes they are all good material 100% cotton, she has sent pictures of most of the types of materials I would use so I saw the make of material. Does vintage material make any difference, at least that is what she calls it, anywhere from 1998 to 2002 if you call that vintage

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.

yes they are all good material 100% cotton, she has sent pictures of most of the types of materials I would use so I saw the make of material. Does vintage material make any difference, at least that is what she calls it, anywhere from 1998 to 2002 if you call that vintage

There are very few fabrics that appreciate in value with age. Some vintage fabrics from the 30's are of value , but faric from the era you speak of is not going to have an increase . Offering a per yard , means she has to measure all of it . Get an approximate on the yardage and offer about $2.00 per yard or a flat price . This time of year it would be tough to sell at a yard sale( in alot of climates) and even then 2.00 per yard is tops for yard sale goods.
    Probably the best bet is to weigh the fabric and offer a per pound price. Concidering 3.2- 4.3 oz is what most quilting fabric weighs per yard.

Blog Entries
    thanks so much for your help

If you can share pictures with us. We love pictures. :) Too bad this young lady doesn't live by any of us.....we'd love to help her out too. ;)

Blog Entries
    I'm buying in bulk. She is a young mother who is trying to help out with finances at home. She has bins and bins of material. She said she had 11 of just kids material alone. A Great Aunt passed away who was a hoarder, 15 room house filled. So she has a ton of fabric.
    If she has that many bins she might prefer to sell by the bin rather than measure yardage or lbs. I'd offer her $25/bin and give her a general idea what type fabric you prefer - kids, holiday, etc. If I were building a stash and with the price of fabrics right now I'd probably get two or three bins.

Sounds like you might be getting a good deal there. But I would be concerned about the quality of the fabric. Hopefully it is 100% cotton and has been stored properly so it won't smell musty or moldy. You may end up with more than you bargained for I'm afraid. Good luck.

I asked a friend of mine who is a quilter and she suggested $5.00/lb for scraps less than a yard and $2.00 a yard for the pieces that are a yard or more, what do you think about that?
    My rule for sales like that is NEVER more than$2.00 a yd, EVEN if I loveit.I usually say .50-&1.00 per yd. You probably will not be able to get more, should you need it. That said--last week my friend went to a sale, a half hour away. It was an quilters estate,prices were .50 EACH PIECE, regardless of yardage! So I paid.50 for a yard and also paid the same for 6-8yd pcs. The more there is the less you pay.--Unless she takes up sewing...its worthless sitting there. Oh and they threw in black garbage bags of scraps! Other sales, I've paid $5 a box. A man on CRAIGS sold me 3large JOANN bags of yardage+1 of scraps for $30.00 Its nice to not want to rip people off, but you're not shopping @the QS. If this is someone you know--you can alwaysmake her a quilted gift as a thank-you! ALSO went to1, an hour away last year-bought jelly rolls for$1.00, the woman sold her MOM'S kits for pennies on the dollar, bought thimbleberries kits(BOMs, tablerunners, wall quilts) for $5-$8 & bought a $100 keepsake quilting kit for $10.00. Its better to move the volume @ a LOWER price, than have it take up valuable space OR have mice get in & destoy it ! GOOD LUCK!!

OMGoodness I'd be driving down with a closed in tr so I could be sure of what I was getting. Then I'd offer her some of the ideals the nice ladies on here have suggested.

Banned
    Blog Entries

that is NOT vintage, BUT...those are the STRONG years when the cottons were really GOOD...even the cranston that is generally only found at walmart now...

tell your friend to FILL Her car!

If I were in your position I would make her an offer on the whole bulk of it at below what you are willing to pay for it so you will have negotiating room if she asks for more.

Or you can ask her first what she wants for the bulk of it and reverse the process.

$2/yd in bulk is too much when you don't have a chance to preview it. The cost of shipping is going to be an issue here also. I think a bulk price for a bin is a reasonable approach. They need to get rid of the fabric and you would like to take the chance of liking it. Depending on the size of the bin, $30 to $50 could be a satisfactory price all around.

I just bought an ex quilters stash. I didn't figure out what I paid a yard, but counted the pieces and paid $1. They were sized from 1/2 yard to 4 yards. Take all you can afford especially since you don't have much stash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast