Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Price of fabric

Blog Entries
    I know it is a lot according to what you say - but if it were me, I'd buy the whole thing for a price; whatever she'd agree upon and I'd get a small warehouse or storage facility to put it all in - keep what you want, and sell on here or ebay or???? Make up groups of fabric and tie it together and put it on a garage sale - so much for the lot - you could more than get your money back. Oh I wish I was in your shoes!!! If you need help - let me know! :)

Quote Originally Posted by jad1044
    I know it is a lot according to what you say - but if it were me, I'd buy the whole thing for a price; whatever she'd agree upon and I'd get a small warehouse or storage facility to put it all in - keep what you want, and sell on here or ebay or???? Make up groups of fabric and tie it together and put it on a garage sale - so much for the lot - you could more than get your money back. Oh I wish I was in your shoes!!! If you need help - let me know! :)
    That's exactly what I would do as well. :-)

Fabrics this recent wouldn't be considered vintage, so that's not an issue. I agree with other posters, that weight is the easiest method for this transaction. I'm thinking I'd offer at least $5/pound and cover the shipping. Lucky you for finding such a treasure, I'm envious!

new user
    yes, u fell into a quilters goldmine. Could be that she doesn't know what she has in all those containers. Unless you get to go threw them, hard telling what you might find. Im like a couple others, if you need some help with it, just let me know. LOL She can make money off it to help her situation. Good luck to her.

Blog Entries
    I will definitely talk to her about getting her info to all you wonderful ladies.

Blog Entries
    I'd go with the price per tote. Would love to go see it myself! I'm here in Minnesota....

well if u buy it all u will get it cheaper and she probaly just wants get rid of it. just offer 25 .00 for all of it .bet she will take it

I wouldn't know what to offer. Id say fill a tote and Ill pay 50.00. Tell her the colors you like and make sure its all clean and all cotton.

I would offer her about $20-25 a bin unless it's oriental or other material with gold overlaying. If she has more material than you can use I'd be interested in buying material for children's charity quilts, infants-teens in crisis. IS ON Ontario, CA or a misprint?

I would offer her about $20-25 a bin unless it's oriental or other material with gold overlaying. If she has more material than you can use I'd be interested in buying material for children's charity quilts, infants-teens in crisis. IS ON Ontario, CA or a misprint?

OOPS, SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE

Quote Originally Posted by DaleD
    I know but she is in the states and I'm in Canada. She is sending as much as I want this weekend with a friend so I want to make a decision by Thursday. What to do, what to do. I really lucked out here since I really don't have much of a stash.
    Lucky you!

By all means check these fabrics out. Wish we all could just hop in car and help you. One question I may have missed being answered is: Are you allergic to anything? Does the fabric come from someone who has had birds in the house, a cat or a dog? What about where and how it has been stored? Oh so many questions but yet a good, and highly recommended idea, is go straight to the washing machine and leave everything in the garage until the machine is ready for it.

When I wash unknown fabrics, I cut just a stippen from all the corners so the threads will not ravel all over the place and tie up in the washer-dryer. Better invest in some color-catcher sheets too. Might save a lot of fabrics from one which fades badly.

Good luck and please post a phone of what you end up with.

Blog Entries
    What is a color-catcher sheet if I might ask?

Geez Louise how far away does she live? Can't you jump in your car and check it out yourself? It may be worth you while in the long run. You would know what you were getting, if the fabric was stored properly, and pick what you want if money is an issue. As a Canadian in my area we rarely see fabric for the prices you ladies are talking about. Good luck homey and let us know what happens.

You put it in the washer and it catches all the dye in the fabric so it doesnt wreck the other fabrics. You can buy them at Target, Walmart and some grocery stores in the laundry aisle.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the help Ladies, this is the first forum I have really ever participated in and can't believe the support I have gotten, really cool. And nice to meet another Canadian.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Maureen, I will have to look for them when I go to the states again, I'm not sure if you can buy them in Canada.

Thanks Maureen for explaining in more detail about my color catcher comment. I did not have computer on last night and should have checked for updates and inquries. Yes, the sheets I have been purchased at both a grocery store and Target. I use a Shout product and find that I can use them several times unless I have had a bad fader in purples and reds. It is amazing how much the sheet catches in the washing machine, even with normal sorted laundry. For my new fabrics, I find it absolutely necessary, even with some high-end materials.

Wow, I just noticed where you are from. I am in Milverton and go through Heidelburg all the time. We will need to meet up sometime.

Blog Entries
    Hi Lori, I would love to get together. Have you been quilting long because if you have I would love to talk to you about some things. I'm sure I don't do some things properly and would love some help with some of my quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleD
    Hi Lori, I would love to get together. Have you been quilting long because if you have I would love to talk to you about some things. I'm sure I don't do some things properly and would love some help with some of my quilting.
    I started making "quilts" in earnest about 11 years ago. My mother always gave each new family member a quilt and after she passed away someone had to pickup where she left off. The first ones I made were the simplest form of a "quilt" (two fabrics, usually flannel, with batt in the middle and tied with yarn). When I retired a few years ago I took up making more pieced tops and using my machine to do some very simple quilting. I now have more than one machine and two quilting frames (one for machine quilting, one for hand quilting, still need to learn this art). I will never accomplish what some members here are able to do but that is okay because I enjoy what I do. I am more than willing to share what experience I have. As for the "right" way to do things, well I wouldn't go that far, but I will help you with how I do it :lol: :oops:

Blog Entries
    Wonderful, thanks we should set a time to get together. If you want to let me know when you are passing through Heidelberg you can see what I've done and maybe give me some pointers. Here is my phone number it might make it easier. 519-699-4979 Hope to talk soon Dale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2