Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The price of fabrics.

I've always been taught "you get what you pay for" too.

I have used the cheaper fabrics on quick lap quilts for the couch (for kids and dogs) where I know it's going to be thrashed, it needs to go through the washing machine, and it doesn't have to last a million years.

But for something special, with an intricate design, I'm going for the absolute best fabric there is, even if it takes me a while to save.

The blue and white star exchange cost me just under $80 for the fabrics, $48 for the postage, and turned into rather an expensive undertaking. BUT, it will be worth it.

Since my budget is tight, I watch for sales at my LQS' and I ebay... I find a lot of good quality fabric there at prices I can afford...

I went into my LQS last Friday because they had a by 4 FQ, get one free but there was also a bin with $1 FQ's - $54 later I was home and happily fondling my splurge. But I hardly ever pay full price, money is just too tight...

blue chicken,
    there are a couple of sites that have low-priced, good-quality fabrics.

try these:

http://www.craftconn.com

http://www.nixiechicks.com

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com

follow the links. if you can make up a really big order (maybe with a friend) it may be worth the shipping.

there is also hancocks of paducah, marshalls dry goods, on the qt,.... like that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coldtoesinmi
    What puzzles me is all the quilts that our grandmas made where certainly not QS quality fabric and they have lasted a century in some cases. Made of skirts, shirts and old dresses and bulk fabric from the merchantile. What's up?????
    I think a lot of those older quilts were handled more gently on a daily basis and washed by hand infrequently. The agitator-type washing machines that most of us still have are really hard on fabric, IMO. Many times the "best" quilts were stored on a bed in the spare room, covered with a sheet, and brought out to see the light of day only when a guest came to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    LOL

Yeah... I've seen some rooms posted on here and nearly died. Maybe one day! :-)

I read somewhere once of a group of older women sitting around at a quilt class one day, chatting as you do, and several were saying how they had to stop spending so much on their stashes. The oldest piped up and said something along the lines of she wish she'd never slowed down on buying fabrics. That since she'd been retired money had been tight and she was unable to buy as she used to. She wished she had built a bigger stash as her "retirement fund", and that these women shouldn't be thinking of their stash as a guilty secret, that it was an investment in their retirement.

I susbcribe to that theory, and at this rate, I'll need to live till I'm 112. ;-)

in the back of my mind, I know this is what I did. Was afraid of being on a fixed income. It takes me a long time to get my projects/fabrics-4 "just right". I change my mind like crazy!!! sorry, your fabs cost so much. I just paid 9.00 a yard, for the very first time for one of those, love-at-first-sight fabrics...and not sure if I will do it again, but I do looooove it!! ooooh, lisa...it is pink with white polka dots and cherries!!! and it's gorgeousamondo!!! :D

Wah! I want a link!!!! Pink with polka dots AND cherries!!?? I'd pay for THAT!

Have you seen the Swell line by Moda? There is one print in there that has huge roses and polka dots on it and I love love love it! I saw an entire bolt of it on e-bay for $150, and I seriously thought about it. Then I thought again and didn't get it. :-(

I did get a jelly roll of the Swell, though and made a king size quilt top out of that with some vintage fabric I had been hoarding. Someday it will be an actual quilt for our bed.

Oh, I just realized maybe you got it at an actual store. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa T
    Wah! I want a link!!!! Pink with polka dots AND cherries!!?? I'd pay for THAT!

Have you seen the Swell line by Moda? There is one print in there that has huge roses and polka dots on it and I love love love it! I saw an entire bolt of it on e-bay for $150, and I seriously thought about it. Then I thought again and didn't get it. :-(

I did get a jelly roll of the Swell, though and made a king size quilt top out of that with some vintage fabric I had been hoarding. Someday it will be an actual quilt for our bed.
    your right, I got it at Joann's, but boy is it ever beeeutiful! :D I associate different things with different ppl, and your the cherry lover, Lisa lol! I know, you love many more things than just cherry....cause you mentioned one of my other loves....ROSES!!!...i AM A FOOL FOR ROSES!!! pink ones, red ones,...have this delicious fabric that's pastel green with yellow, pink, orchid colored....maybe more...roses on it. saving it for something special I guess. Probably waiting till I feel more confident in my quilting abilities.
    Is it awful to feel I am practicing up as I go along? I want all my quilts to be good, but boy, I am learning with each one.
    I promised myself, no more fabrics till middle of april, but I will have to go look at this Moda fabric and may have to extend my date. LOL!!! you tempted me! I dangled fabric in front of you, and now I am getting it back. What goes around, comes around, Lol. woo hoo!...roses!!!!!! with polka dots, can't wait. ttfn (ta ta for now! :D )

Blog Entries

The WalMart here has fabric and it's pretty varied. The quilting cotton section has quilt shop quality fabric mixed in with the lesser cottons and it's all $4.99 a yard. The clerk told me it was going up in price any time now. One way to tell if a fabric will last in a quilt is to check the back. If the back of the fabric is plain, no color or print at all , then it will not hold up in a quilt that is used a lot. The fabric color and design is only on the surface. I would use better quality fabric in a quilt that will be used and the lesser quality fabric in my for looks quilt.
    I believe there is only one fabric mill in the US. Cranston is the only working one that I know of.

HI lADIES! if any of you are close to a WalMart that still sells fbric go check it out I worked there for the last seven years. Their fabric is really reasonable and contrairy to popular rumurs, it is very good quality. Of course where else in the store would a quilter work, than in the fabric Dept lol! I had many gals make trips to our store from Canada and several customers who purchased fabric to send abroad to friends and family Connecting threads has reasonable fabric prices, but their colors don't do any thing for me, 5.96 YARD,

Blog Entries
    I'm on my way to my Walmart so I won't have buyers regret later on. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I too live in an area where I can get nice fabric still at reasonable prices. I don't know what shipping costs are to NZ but would be happy to "go shopping" for you or anyone else that would like for me too. Just contact me with a PM and we can work out something.

When I saw a beautiful quilt pattern made with 9 graduated shades of a single color, I knew it was the ideal quilt for our daughter and son-in-law's 25th wedding anniversary. My first thought was using hand dyes but in enlarging the pattern from a lap size to a queen, I discovered I would need 14 yds. for the top alone. And with hand dyes $16 a yd. or more that was out of the question. So I searched the web and found 9 graduated shades of blue (our daughter's favorite color) batiks on sale for half the price. I love the way the batiks seem to flow and am so glad that I decided to go with them. I'm quilting it now on my short arm setup and just love the way it's turning out. Even my husband thinks it's pretty and most of the time his comments are only on how much fabric I've bought --not the final results!

Pattysue

these are great sites... one with free shipping for only a $25 order. unbelieveable. Thanks quilter1234

I retired 5 years ago. I would buy fabric, thread, batting, buttons and stuff everyweek for several years before I retired. I was afraid I would not be able to afford my sewing and quilting habit. I also bought extra paint, canvas and brushes.
    Well now I have so much stuff I don't know where it all is. I have been working on sorting and labeling everythin for a while now and it seems endless. I am not complaining I am glad I have all this stuff because I don't think I could afford it now. I think if someone knows they are going to retire they need to stock up ahead of time. :)

LOL! :lol: :lol:

now that's a retirement hobby we can all afford....sorting it all out!

LOL! :lol: :lol:

now that's a retirement hobby we can all afford....sorting it all out!

i don't know what happened there :roll:

Blog Entries
    :shock: :P

One of the comments above reminded me, my very first quilt ever I used a black bed sheet to back it with, I couldn't afford to by backing fabric. It's still going strong, that quilt, my son drags it around with him, and it's been through the wash a number of times.

Thank you for the offers to go shopping! :-) I hadn't thought of that, and it's a really good idea. I set up a paypal account when I bought off ebay, which makes things easier. The websites are all cool, but unless it's a print or a certain type of fabric you're looking for, it's hard to know how "real" the colours are.

I will be in touch! :-)

are there any yard sales or flea markets where you are? sometimes you get more yardage for your money buying used clothing than buying new fabric. and you know it's been washed.

Hi from the UK. Im not sure how to put that in the location box. Can anyone tell me please.
    I thought that you may be interested to know that I bought 2 fat quarters and two metres of fabric last weekend and it cost me a little over 30. I wasn't paying close enough attention when I selected the fabrics so the bill was a bit of a shocker! I think that equates to about $42 US and Im not sure of the exchange to NZ. Im coming to the US this summer with an empty case and a big bag to mail stuff home!

My Word! I never thought about that. You just erased all of my guillt from my fabric spree yesterday!
    I don't know how many of you have a Wal Mart but they are not going to carry fabric any longer. While I do not buy all of mine there I do find some so I am going to stock up.
    Happy Quilting!
    Jeannie

30 pounds (can't find the little symbol on my keyboard!) is about $90 here. That IS a scary purchase! :-)

We have our own auction site over here called Trade Me, and sometimes there will be people who are giving up quilting and selling off their stash. But it's not very often.

We have garage sales (like your yard sales I think) too, but so many people cruise them full time looking for stuff to resell on Trade Me for a profit it's become a bit of a wasted exercise.

I'm one of those little old ladies who has everything paid for and a monthly income. However, this governmemt has managed to totaly foul up everything so my income just about covers my expenses.

I do have a good stash to rely on but as you all know, there is never JUST the right fabric or it's the wrong color or shade. Cost here in Florida is getting higher and higher. $5.95 is now twice that. I can occasionly find a good piece at Walmart at $1.50 a yard and I buy it. I love to work in certain color ranges so if I like it, I grab it. JoAnn's just had a sale on fat quarters for $1.00. I bought what I could afford.

I have wondered about the quality of the fabric. I know some is much better than others. But I wonder if we are cheating ourselves by not using cheaper fabric. Do we want our quilts to last forever or be used and replaced?

With the easier patterns today, we don't have to spend hours and hours on a quilt unless you're going for a judged show. Some of my earlier wuilts (ten yars) of cheaper fabric are going strong and tho a bit faded, are still just as warm.

How do you all feel about this?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast