Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The price of fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I guess I was asleep in world economic class too. Makes no sense to me fabric cannot be imported there the same as it is here. The boat could make a pit stop there on the way here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    why is fabric so expensive in england?
    I have always thought it is because the raw cotton has to be imported. England doesn't have a good climate for growing cotton. Aside from the costs of transport, I suppose imports are all taxed at a high rate.

I think you're probably right about that...and we also have VAT (value added tax) added which is 17 1/2%

Karen xx

Many ladies save up and get to Pennsylvania Dutch Country (Lancaster Co. PA) and do a years worth of shopping there. Look up our favorite B&B..Frogtown Acres. Reasonable rates, centrally located and great people. I have met many an out of country lady there for the great shopping. hapytlk

Quote Originally Posted by Polly2
    The store is called Mardens... they have several locations with an excellent choice of fabrics.

The one I shop at is in Lewiston.
    But the thing with Mardens is that you have to be willing to take the time to dig thru... The one in Brewer always felt dirty...

I second shopping on line for fabric, when possible.

On line I've never bought FQs only to find a square cut out of one of them. Evidently one of the quilt shop employees needed "just a wee bit more of fabric". But because I'd visited a lot of shops that day, I didn't know which shop was the culprit.

And on line I've never bought FQs at a particular price only to discover that I was over-charged when I got home!

On line, if batting is on sale, then it's on sale. Not as a recent visit to Hancock's when they had advertised batting on sale. When I dropped by one of their stores I was told that "Warm and Natural" batting (which is my favorite) isn't considered "batting". But the manager couldn't tell me just what it is if not batting!

I've bought hundreds of dollars of fabric on line and haven't had any problems (knock on wood!) so far.

I do most all of my shopping for fabric on-line. My favorite place is Hancocks-paducah.com. They have a lot of sales and the fabric is always great. Also overrainbow is good. I have never been disappointed in the quality of the fabric. Joyce Ann

A good web site www.thousandsofbolts.com

one of my faves:

http://www.nixiechicks.com

check their closeouts.

I'm not sure which Mardens you went to, in Lewiston the material is all on bolts and the bolts are all standing. Most of the bolts are seperated by color.

The rest of the store is another story. You just can't beat some of the bargains.

Pauline

I did not go. I just read about it....wish I could go!

i tried to find it on the web but all i found was a junk store. where is it?

Last year I was in Hershey and went over to Lancaster co. They have the most fabulous shops there. My favorite is Dutchland Quilts. I stocked up when I was there. Wish I could go there every year.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i tried to find it on the web but all i found was a junk store. where is it?

again. is there a website i can visit?

Hi put in dutchlandquilts.com It will bring you up to a google page and just click on the store page. Hope this helps

thanks. i bookmarked the site.

do you also know the site for marsden? i never even heard of it.

Blog Entries
    Marden's doesn't sell online. :cry:

AHA!!!!!

It is a junk store. I emailed them to see if they had fabric on line as I could not find any and if they did where was it. Will post if they answer me.

I am going to consider myself pretty lucky as we have some great quilt shops around the 20 min mark from my house. One of them has a bargain room with the fabrics at $4.98/metre, I found fabric to do a backing on a queen size quilt & bought extra to keep in my stash because it was so cheap. When I left the store I went to another quilt shop & the same fabric was there for $16.98/metre. So what a deal I have been getting.

There are many reasons for the increased prices, I think. Not in any order! Here goes: We pay 15% Value Added tax ( recently reduced fron 17.5%) on fabric, wadding , thread etc. Many fabrics are imported from the US. The costs of importation have all rocketed in recent years as oil prices etc have gone through the roof. Our local taxes have also been going up and I guess that our store owner also need to make a profit! Our housing costs have always been much higher than yours too. In the south of England, (and I know that prices have escalted in other regions too, )you would be very hard pressed to buy an English sized 3 bed, 1 bath family house ( tiny by US standards) for much less than 250,000. ! Many Americans do not travel outside of the US and dont see how it is relatively much less expensive to live- and quilt- in the US. Your food, gas and utilities costs, though rising in recent years, have always been significantly lower than Europe, and maybe OZ and NZ before that.

i never realized the great difference in prices all around. americans really are very lucky.

could you please explain Value Added Tax?

Sorry it did come out as a bit of a lesson didnt it?? Ok Value added tax is a bit like US sales tax I guess but it is usually included in the total cost. When I am in the US, I always forget that the tax is added on at the till! Here, it is part of the quoted amount. On utility bills, it is quoted separately as some businesses, charities etc have special arrangements with the INland Revenue (Our IRS). Its known as V.A.T. and is Europe wide but at different amounts in each country. I think that France pays 19% but the basic price, before tax , used to be lower.
    I think that the US is catching up with everyone else now so it means that we all feel the pinch! We will have to return to making quilta s our Grandmas did.

Yes, our TVA in France is 19.6% on most things. When I ordered fabric from the USA, not only was it held by Customs here for over 6 weeks but I was charged the TVA, plus Customs handling, plus a set charge. It 's no use ordering fabric on special offer as the retailer has to put on the "real" value and the TVA is charged on that figure.
    Together with the shipping it was an expensive purchase. But I know Kathryn (k3n) has bought from USA and it just came straight through - just luck I suppose.
    All quilt fabric in France is imported and it's around an average of 20 Euros/metre.
    Since Christmas I have bought online from various UK suppliers over 50 metres at between 2 and 5/metre - very pleased.

I guess our advantage in the US is the large number of shops available usually where we live and the many sources on the internet. I shop both places but the prices are going up by leaps and bounds. Even Walmart's $1.00 a yard has gone to $1.50 a yard.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast