Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price of this quilt??? >

Price of this quilt???

Price of this quilt???

Old 10-27-2015, 10:48 AM

I don't know what to tell you about a price. You do have a lot of good suggestions here. I seem to give my quilts away as gifts or donate them. Good luck deciding.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:38 PM

this is the area that causes fits for anyone who creates handcrafted items. A VERY basic formula is - the cost of your product, the cost of 'things'(electricity, machine use, driving expenses,etc), and your time spent (it is up to you to figure what that is worth). Then you can start to add in the 'extras' - profit, friendship, purpose etc. Now, can the market take it at that cost? What is a reasonable mark-up for profit for your area. If you are sending it, don't forget to add in the cost of your packaging, shipping AND THE COST OF TIME TO PACKAGE AND SEND. This is the area most new business folks fail at. If you had to hire a clerk to wrap, seal, label and send it, you would need to pay them! Obviously, with quilts, you are doing one at a time. But, if you are making smaller items (mug rugs, placemats, purses), you can also use the formula of cost of all materials times 3. To get a feel for what you are putting into your project, keep a small tablet with your machine or cutting table. Note the time spent each time you sit down and any additional items you may use. You will be surprised how quickly the hours add up!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Good luck setting price. I find this very hard because so many factors--where you live/what your market will bear, cost of materials including wear/tear on your machine, electricity, etc and of course your labor. That being said few people want to pay enough to actually pay you more than a minimal wage. I've decided that I won't spend my time (away from my own projects) working for less than $10/hour and frankly want it to be closer to $15/hr. Thus I don't get many customers for t-shirt quilts or quilting--although I'm always busy!

Off the cuff, since its a "cheater" cloth and one of the borders is the fleece backing (did you use bat between fleece & top?) without bat, I would probably price at $35-45.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
this is the area that causes fits for anyone who creates handcrafted items. A VERY basic formula is - the cost of your product, the cost of 'things'(electricity, machine use, driving expenses,etc), and your time spent (it is up to you to figure what that is worth). Then you can start to add in the 'extras' - profit, friendship, purpose etc. Now, can the market take it at that cost? What is a reasonable mark-up for profit for your area. If you are sending it, don't forget to add in the cost of your packaging, shipping AND THE COST OF TIME TO PACKAGE AND SEND. This is the area most new business folks fail at. If you had to hire a clerk to wrap, seal, label and send it, you would need to pay them! Obviously, with quilts, you are doing one at a time. But, if you are making smaller items (mug rugs, placemats, purses), you can also use the formula of cost of all materials times 3. To get a feel for what you are putting into your project, keep a small tablet with your machine or cutting table. Note the time spent each time you sit down and any additional items you may use. You will be surprised how quickly the hours add up!
I have a regular old fashioned plug in clock plugged into a surge protector and my LED light into the same surge protector. When I sit to sew on a project I turn on the surge protector and thus keep exact time spent on that project. When it gets close to the 12 hour mark I write the time down and set the clock to 12:00 again. Then at the completion of the item I add it all together and know exactly how much time (including ironing, ripping, measuring, cutting, sandwhiching, quilting etc) went into the entire quilt. Not for selling the quilt but just for my record.
Jeri
Old 10-28-2015, 03:13 PM

Glue the miters in place exactly how you want them and then sew.
great idea!! why didn't I think of that!!?? I am going to try that next time