Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prices for Batik's?? >

Prices for Batik's??

Prices for Batik's??

Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Just because it says "quilt shop quality" it does not necessarily the case. Most times it is but often it isn't.

Prices are going up on all fabrics and now we see $2 to $3 for fat quarters in Batik and that is the lower quality of batik fabric.

I love batiks and for the right ones I will pay $12 a yard if I have to but will think hard on paying more than that unless it's a really nice quality brand name one that I just have to have that design than I would consider paying more.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 AM

same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. but it had turtles on it, so I bit the dust and got it. But didnt get anything else. that day.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Julie - I was thinking of Mary Jo's the other day. I haven't been in over a year - I was wondering what their prices are now with the cotton increase. I should check her website and see...

Originally Posted by JulieTN
I buy all of my batiks from Mary Jo's Cloth Store (online) in Gastonia NC. Folks this place is more than amazing. Huge beyoond huge. AND Dolly Parton's costomers buy all of the fabrics, trims etc for Dolly and crew there too.

HOffman batiks at $6.49 to $7.49 a yard - first quality ONLY too.

Julie
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 AM

there you are! I'm on your list - I can't wait to see your new offerings :D

Originally Posted by bob1414
Hi! I'm back from Bali! I just haven't gotten my butt in gear yet - been in Arizona. Mine will most likely will be $7.25/yard this time. Beautiful stuff - email me ([email protected]) if you're not on my "list".

I've seen batiks online for $13/yard - prices are going up just like everything else! Last night at the market, my 5 lb. bag of sugar was only 4 lbs - sure hope a yard of fabric doesn't change to 32"!!!!

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I haven't heard anything out of Roberta lately - or have I missed one of her posts?

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I bought batiks from Roberta on the board and they are beautiful. I don't know what they cost now but last year they were under 7.00
Double digits for fabric is making me re-think my stash!!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 AM

Cj my son was in Portland Ore for a Christian concert about a month ago, he stopped on his way back home and bought me 2 yards of Batiks. He said they were $10.50 a yard. They had 6 packs of FQ's for $18.95. So that would make them $3.15 per FQ and would be $12.60 a yard that way. These came from one of the biggest quilt shops in Sisters, Ore. I felt the quality was not worth that price, the ones at our Joanns are a better quality and they are $9.99 a yard. I almost wrote them a note to tell them. They included a business card with the fabrics. It was a loving thought on my son's part. He knows I love fabrics and I had mentioned earlier I wanted some batiks to make a new bag out of.
crafty_linda_b
Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I went to a little fabric shop today and saw some beautiful batik's, thought I think all batik's are beautiful. The girl told me that they were $12.99/yd. I said you are kidding right? I told her I could go to Hancocks of Paducah and pay 9.99/yd. if I wanted Batik's that badly. I still have sticker shock from it.

Has anyone else seen Batik's this highly priced?
I paid $9.99 per yd in Northwest Arkansas a few years back. The smaller shops can't compete. Connecting Threads on the internet has some gorgeous fabrics for about half that and you can order charm packs, strips, etc. to be sure of colors etc. I will go that route from now on. I love Batiks and am not quite ready to give them up. I will NOT however, spend my last dime on them.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 AM

Sorry I've been "MIA". My new batiks are going to be hard to part with - trying to decide what to keep and what not to keep!!

there you are! I'm on your list - I can't wait to see your new offerings :D

Originally Posted by bob1414
Hi! I'm back from Bali! I just haven't gotten my butt in gear yet - been in Arizona. Mine will most likely will be $7.25/yard this time. Beautiful stuff - email me ([email protected]) if you're not on my "list".

I've seen batiks online for $13/yard - prices are going up just like everything else! Last night at the market, my 5 lb. bag of sugar was only 4 lbs - sure hope a yard of fabric doesn't change to 32"!!!!

I haven't heard anything out of Roberta lately - or have I missed one of her posts?

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I bought batiks from Roberta on the board and they are beautiful. I don't know what they cost now but last year they were under 7.00
Double digits for fabric is making me re-think my stash!!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 AM

I bought mine online at www.fabricfanatics.com. The store is all batiks, they sell for $8.50 a yard except the 108" wide is 14.50 a yard.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 AM

My one not so LQS in NJ was charging $15.99 a yard last year. Then again, her fabric ranges from 10-14 a yard. and it's not all that great, so I don't go often.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM

In most of the quilt stores on my shop hop (14 stores) they were $10.99.