Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prices going up. Ouch! >

Prices going up. Ouch!

Prices going up. Ouch!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM

I just bought some 9.99 a yard but there was 50% off. So I bought a lot of material.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM

I buy mostly online. Cannot afford to pay 10.00 or more per yd. In fact, I usually pay about $5.00 to $6.50 at the top and have bought some on sale at Fabric.com and Connecting threads for around $3.00. I buy at Joann's only with 50% coupons.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 PM

shop my stash :D
Old 10-21-2011, 08:31 PM

No not me. My budget on social security is already tight enough. I I shop online at Fabric.com from their sale fabrics.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:00 AM

Have to if I need some fabric. Getting very picky about my projects and using what I can from my stash and finishing ufo's in the mean time. Helps to buy a little each week or put aside money until I have enough for some bigger buys.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:44 AM

I've got a big stash - almost all was clearance fabric I have collected over time from online stores, so I thought I was good for a while. Especially since I don't quilt that fast. Then I promised my friends who were pregnant or trying that I'd make them a baby quilt when the time came. Started looking up baby fabric on clearance. Well, that was a bust. Apparently pink and blue are passe. The first two - both green and brown, one monkeys, the other jungle. sigh. The next two up don't know the sex yet, and both think pink and blue are not it. So, guess I will be paying full price for at least the fronts. Although I was luckiy enough to find the jungle stuff at Walmart, and think I can use some of the monkeys leftovers from the first for the second. Say a prayer Walmart has their fabrics also. I really can't afford full price LQS quality fabric right now. Virg
Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 AM

Went to Joann's to look at fabric and saw the prices mentioned here. But the quality just wasn't there. We have a place called the Fabric Hut here . I can get good quality namebrand for about the same price. But even there some of the quality just isn't there. I will stop quilting before I pay $10 per yard for poor thin see through fabric.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:17 AM

My purchasing habits are to gather fabrics for a quilt and put it in my stash as a kit. Right now, I am conquering the UFO pile and stash diving. Since I don't purchase random items so when I want new yardage I don't feel bad about getting it. That said, I just bought fabric for two quilts but prior to that had not made a purchase for a year. I do think that the quilting industry will shrink as a result of rising prices, both manufacturing and distribution outlets. Those that want to continue creating will have to be creative. But it is these pressures that have historically led to innovation, which is something to be excited for. My concern long-term is that the industry is aging and not attracting younger quilters, and rising prices will not mitigate that.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:02 AM

I saw fabric for 11.99 yd at The Scarlet Thread Quilt shop yesterday, in McDonough, GA. OUCH!!!! some of the same prints are at Walmart.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
My purchasing habits are to gather fabrics for a quilt and put it in my stash as a kit. Right now, I am conquering the UFO pile and stash diving. Since I don't purchase random items so when I want new yardage I don't feel bad about getting it. That said, I just bought fabric for two quilts but prior to that had not made a purchase for a year. I do think that the quilting industry will shrink as a result of rising prices, both manufacturing and distribution outlets. Those that want to continue creating will have to be creative. But it is these pressures that have historically led to innovation, which is something to be excited for. My concern long-term is that the industry is aging and not attracting younger quilters, and rising prices will not mitigate that.
I'm concerned too that there aren't more young people interested making anything from scratch/by hand (not that quilting has to be hand-sewn). From what I see in my own three kids, they just don't have the feel for long-term projects. They lose interest.

But then, maybe a lot of us have the same problem with losing interest or getting distracted. Could that explain all the UFOs?