Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Prices going up. Ouch!

Blog Entries
    Was at JoAnn's today and found great sale prices. Also found quilting fabric priced at $9.99. Some friends from Texas told me last summer that because of the drought the cotton crop was lost and prices would increase. Will you pay this or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Learner747
    Was at JoAnn's today and found great sale prices. Also found quilting fabric priced at $9.99. Some friends from Texas told me last summer that because of the drought the cotton crop was lost and prices would increase. Will you pay this or more?
    Nope Not me.. My Budget is so small it can hardly handle what I do get.. Here a piece there a piece... I used to buy almost everything at Joanns with a coupon.. But I ordered from Connecting Threads the other day .... And I Love their fabric... I think I will mostly be an online shopper now.

Blog Entries
    no I will not. I noticed the other day some shops have it for 12.00!

Blog Entries
    Yep, I was frustrated as well with the prices. I have been doing this for a while, and have a stash--but for new quilters-we will lose much!

Blog Entries
    the one LQS by me starts her prices at 12-15 a yard for regular cotton. Batiks are over $18 a yard, and she doesn't cut in less than 1 yard increments on Batik.

I'd gladly pay 9.99 in that LQS, but mainly I shop online.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22
    no I will not. I noticed the other day some shops have it for 12.00!
    yep at Joanns in OKcity, I saw some for this price and just laughed out loud...NO way...not even when the really good Batiks were that price...

Blog Entries
    No I won't pay those prices mentioned above. There are quilt shops out there selling less expensive fabric that works just fine for me. It doesn't have to have a name brand on it for it to work in my quilts. Yes it is better quality but they are pricing themselves right out of the quilters market. I won't pay more than $9.99 a yd & VERY seldom will I do that, even at JoAnn's. I've got enough fabric I can sit & ride this one out. IF I do pay $9.99 a yard, it won't be at JoAnn's tho, I'd rather pay that from a qult shop where the quality is there. JoAnn's does not offter the quality :thumbup: Our JoAnn's has had $9.99 fabric for a long time now & I pick it up & look at it & put it right back. So this is nothing new here in Southern IL.

At Joanns? NO WAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by familyfun
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner747
    Nope Not me.. My Budget is so small it can hardly handle what I do get.. Here a piece there a piece... I used to buy almost everything at Joanns with a coupon.. But I ordered from Connecting Threads the other day .... And I Love their fabric... I think I will mostly be an online shopper now.
    If I don't buy from fabric from WalMart I purchase most of my fabric online. The LQS is just to out of my price range when it comes to the quilts I make. I try to hit the sales and buy cheaper fabric.

Seems like Joann's has taken their usual cottons, slapped the term Quilters whatever on them and bumped the prices up at least 40%. The thing is, the fabric doesn't look any better or feel any better than their lower priced cottons as a rule, or at least in my neck of the woods. If I'm going to spend upwards of $9.00 would rather give my hard-earned $$ to a quilt shop.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    Being fairly new to my addiction, I really thought most fabrics were expensive until I started garage saleing, goodwill, asking friends, etc..... I have yet to build a "stash", but am not giving up!

I can go to my local quilt shop and buy fabric for $9.50 a yard...In checking our local Joanne's, the prices are up and the quality is just not the same...So no Joanne's for me at that price.......:(

Sandi

Blog Entries
    Will only buy on great sale or with coupon!!!

Blog Entries
    This is a subject that my feelings are way too strong on regardless if it's about fabric or other pricing increases. I'll spare you all my band stand speech on the subject but I do have a common sense suggestion to make.

I spent a weekend with a friend in the city recently. We spent two glorious days visiting, swapping fabrics with each other and teaching each other new techniques we've picked up along the way. She taught me paper piecing and I taught her how to do applique with permanent glue. We tried out dying fabrics with shaving cream and ink! She and I both had fabrics in our stash that we weren't really interested in working with again. So we traded fabrics! We didn't measure or keep track of how much each of us was getting, it was just a simple task of going through our fabrics and offering those that we didn't care for to each other. We both went away with lots of new fabrics and new ideas spinning in our heads. We had a lot of fun and neither of us spent any cash, well, except for the new restaurants we tried ;) I think it's a great way to renew or refresh your fabric supplies. I think a lot of us are just going to have to find more creative ways to add to our fabric stashes. I would personally love to see more trade offers on the classifieds here instead of just cash sales.

Blog Entries
    I usually go here: http://www.quiltshops.com/ to find my fabric. I either go by style, color, or I have the name of the line I am looking for. I type in what I want and then the word SALE and it brings up all the quilt shops that have what I want on sale and I look for the best buy. I have purchased from many different shops and have never had a problem with the item or the service.

Blog Entries
    I won't pay $10 or more for a yard for quilt fabric anywhere but a LQS. Fortunately, my favorite LQS has a great sale once a month and that's when I get what ever I want or need. I too, like a lot of members, have more than enough stash to keep me busy with the exception of possibly needing solids at some point. I found that when the prices were cheaper at Joann's, I spent more money and bought fabrics that I will probably never use. Now I am more picky about what fabrics I buy.

Blog Entries
    no, i can't afford those prices. time to get creative with my stash :)

Banned
    I am at a show in Atlanta and yesterday I saw prepackaged half yd cuts at $7.50 with big sign over the rack that it was from Japan or Indonesia. Not batiks but regular cotton.
    No different than US brands which are also printed in Japan.
    I started a thread sometime ago to list out of the way places to buy fabric. Havn't seen any additions to it in awhile.

I usually look for sales when I can.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have found quilt shop fabric online for less that 10.00- haven't paid that at all.
    Look at the great sites and see- most ship very cheaply as well.
    The only things I buy at Joann's are notions- I don't care what price their fabric is- I don't like it.

If this group is basically responsible for getting fabric back in the Wal Mart stores, perhaps we should shop there when we can.

Only pay that price when that is the only fabric I found to match the quilt that I may be working on at the time.

Blog Entries
    I find my self looking at the price then picking my fabric. I have a good stash and have been using it up. Watching for sales.

Blog Entries
    I won't say I won't pay that price. I probably will sometime in the future if I want to make quilts. My stash will run out and have to be replenished. I keep my eyes open for online clearance and going out of business sales.

Blog Entries
    I gotta tell you guys that I just keep watching for online sales-Thousand of bolts, connecting threads, Marshall's etc. I've been paying about $3.50 -sometimes less- & don't plan on ever paying over $5.00. Also do the garage sale & thrift store thing & ask family members for things they are done with I might be able to use.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast