Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prices going up. Ouch! >

Prices going up. Ouch!

Prices going up. Ouch!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Hancock's of Paducah is having a sale right now for $6 a yard.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:13 AM

Frugal me loves treasure hunting, and fabric is one of those treasures! Goodwill, thrift stores, yard and rummage sales, online sites like etsy and ebay - all excellent places to find new, barely used, or still good fabrics.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 AM

NO, I only buy on sale or with coupon....I give away all of what I do so it's too pricey to pay that much, may even have to cut back on what I do it's getting so expensive.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 AM

The wholesale prices have increasd 120% and will be increasing again after Jan.1. I buy wholesale by the bolt and try to charge only 50 cents to $1 over my price per yard for my customers.
The wholesale prices for 1st quality quilting fabric are running anywhere from $4.95 to $6.95 per yard. Occasionally the warehouse has sales and I will try to continue to buy then.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 AM

Cotton has been at an all time high since the Civil War for many years now. It's just that folks only realize things when they FEEL it... The old inventory is going and new is coming in and the prices are reflecting it more and more.
Better be stocking up on sugar and other things to!~IT"s going to get bad.
I've been buying 100% cotton tshirts and things and putting them up.
Seriously.
Watch Glenn Beck
Old 10-21-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
I can go to my local quilt shop and buy fabric for $9.50 a yard...In checking our local Joanne's, the prices are up and the quality is just not the same...So no Joanne's for me at that price.......:(

Sandi
Your local quilt shops will be going up, as the company they buy from goes up, they will have no choice. It's only a matter of time. If your LQS does not, they will go out of business. Times have changed. They should technically be charging around 11.00 for a standard mark up on some of that stuff and are just not marking it up like they usually do so they can move it and hope for volume. Seriously.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in FL
Time for me to start using my stash! This is that rainy day it was saved for, I think....
Amen sista!!~ And buy on sale... I am going to a LQS today who has 50% off inventory reduction sale on first quality, premium fabrics and 20% off everything else. Once a year she does this to get ready for new arrivals. She was telling me how she does not mark up the standard mark up like she should, just hoping for volume. She says when things come in now they should be at around 11.00. SO... today when I pay 4.00 or so I'll be stashing it and i do NOT buy fabrics anymore unless I absolutely need a particular fabric to finish a project.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 AM

It not only cost more, some of it is thin, you can see threw
it. My Joann's worker friend, said you need to watch especially the solid colors. Like all things take a good look, and decide what you want to pay for.
She showed me the black from 3.99-12.00 as you go up it is a tiny bit better. But hold a piece up and look at the light. Know what your getting now, she said.
one more a ironing pad I bought a month again 15. is now
25.00. This was the biggest change I think. I still want to buy and sew and be happy. I will beware and make good decsions.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 AM
QKO

Not only have fabric prices increased dramatically in the last two years, it also costs a lot more to get them shipped in to the store. Most shops have seen their shipping prices increase at the same rate as their fabric prices.

List prices on new premium fabrics now are mostly 11.95-12.95/yd. If you see shops selling brand new lines for less than that, they're trying to move fabric in volume, or they are very close to distributors so they don't need to have fabrics shipped.

We've quit buying from east coast distributors and are focusing on west coast distributed products just because of the shipping costs, except for specific items that we want that have to be shipped in from overseas.

We recently had a bunch of fabrics shipped direct from Europe, that aren't available in the USA -- the shipping cost and brokerage fees alone were nearly 3 dollars per yard.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 AM

I use quiltshops.com as well. You can almost always find what you want at a good price. Luckily I have a big stash ;)