Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pricing for feather weights?

I've been thinking of a light weight machine for quilting classes but have to ask are these really light weight?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FWDesigns
    I've been thinking of a light weight machine for quilting classes but have to ask are these really light weight?
    weigh in around 10 pounds and are great for class !!

Featherweights bring $400 here unless you can find one at a garage sale and then the dealers scoop them up in a blink of an eye so you have to be quick and know a good deal when you find one.

I paid $500 for mine and it is worth every penny. I love this little machine. I got a padded cloth case online that the machine exactly fits inside of. So nice to travel with and especailly nice for classes. The original cases are big and heavier. I keep it downstairs for quick repairs and when I want to be with hubby and sew.

I paid $175.00 about 2 weeks ago, and that included shipping, manual, bobbins. I sews good, but the light doesn't work. We have a machine repair shop close by that loves to work on FW, so I thought I would take it to him and see if he could fix the light. Mine was born the same year as me, 1941. In the meantime, I will use my Ott-light, love my featherweight!!!!

I bought mine on ebay last fall. There were very few bids on it, I guess because the case wasn't in such great shape. I paid $190 including shipping and then bought a new case for it. It sews like a dream, just purrs actually. It was "born" the same year as I and like me, it has some surface scratches but is wonderful. I didn't need another machine but I grew tired of my husband complaining about the weight of my Jenome when we travel with our 5th wheel trailer. So this little gem makes us both happy. There are some sellers who think their sitting on a gold mine. Keep looking, eventually there will be one that fits your needs at a price you want to pay.

Hmm...maybe I'll seriously start looking around for one of these goodies!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't pay more then $250 for one in very good condition. The mint condition, not refurbished ones I'd pay up to $400. That's what they are selling for in my area at estate sales and auctions. Every member of my guild that wants a FW has one or two and only one paid over $300 for hers.

I currently have 2 FWs and am always on the lookout for another one for a good price. I'd like to get one for my birth year 1952. I just love them both and they are so cute!

I got Libby (1956) from Ebay many years ago (1999) and paid $250 back then. She came with her case and quite a few attachments. I did have to buy a foot pedal but was able to get an original on ebay as well.

Ruby Jewel (1947) was custom painted for me so I did pay more for her.

If you can find one in good condition and a good price don't hesitate to get one. You will love sewing with it and they are so cute!

Libby & Ruby Jewel
    Name:  Attachment-129526.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  46.8 KB

I sell Featherweights and I usually get between 250 and 400 for them...

Did anyone see the FEATHERWEIGHT 221 BERRY PINK
    on Ebay right now for buy it now price of $585.00? I never knew they made them in colors but then I'm sure there's a lot I don't know.

Blog Entries
    Oh, my! I just got my 301, said it would be the last, but found myself surfing for a 15-91. Intervention? Not a chance!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I got a nice one on Ebay for 212.00 with the case and lots of extras. I think I lucked out on that one.
    The original case makes the price go up but I love mine.
    I would like a white one but they are too high for me.
    I got a 301 which I love with the case on Ebay also for about 80.00
    I've noticed those are going higher now than just a few months ago.
    Wish people would stop hiking up the prices! lol
    Right now I'm looking for a 15 :D
    I need an intervention!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darlin121
    Altough you can find them cheaper if you shop around, $300-$450 is not uncommon. Try ebay, sometimes you can get a good deal on them there.
    That's way too high....eBay prices are generally around $275 or so. There are dozens (literally!!) of places to buy Featherweights. Don't buy the first one you find unless it's fully working and price is less than $200.

You have to shop around. Google Singer 221 or Singer Featherweight and you will see what I mean...DOZENS of places to buy them!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nett2
    Did anyone see the FEATHERWEIGHT 221 BERRY PINK
    on Ebay right now for buy it now price of $585.00? I never knew they made them in colors but then I'm sure there's a lot I don't know.
    Any colors other than black or white are custom painted recently. They did NOT come in those colors originally!!

I gave $280 at an auction for mine. Original case in fantastic condition with attachments, bobbins and manuals. I thought I was going to get it for $200 as the auctioneer almost dropped the hammer, but someone else jumped in and we went $5 at a time till I got it at $280...which was good, I was done at $300.

I paid $300 several years ago for one for my Mom.

They didn't make them in colors. Someone has taken this one apart, ground it down and stripped it, then they repaint them with automotive paint. That's why they're asking so much. They have to re-do the body, apply new decals and put all the mechanical parts back in again.

I got mine on EBAY for $199. I had been watching the bidding for 4 or 5 months because all I had to pay for it was $225. One day at work I flicked over to EBAY and there was a "buy now" for $199. I couldn't order it from work so figured it was "meant to be" if it was still there when I got home...it was....I bought it and have been happy as a lark ever since. Set the price you're will to pay and check often, and you will find one eventually.

I just bought one a month ago and paid $250. I saw one on Craigslist that listed for $600 its still on the list!! I sure wouldn't pay that much for one.

The best would be free LOL but about $300. and up

I have been watching these little machines for years, but have not broke down yet and bought one. Someday I will have the money to get one.

I bought mine at a pown shop last Fri. for $275 it came with lot's of attachments but no bobbins I got the bobbins in mail tus.

Since so many are interested in buying the Singer Featherweight, those should be manufactured today. It's a matter of supply and demand as far as price is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkielover5
    Since so many are interested in buying the Singer Featherweight, those should be manufactured today. It's a matter of supply and demand as far as price is concerned.
    The quality would not be the same.

There seems to be a lot of people right here on this board who would like to buy one, why not list it here and give them the opportunity, just wondered :)
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketsgonewild
    How much does shipping run? I have a 221K Featherweight that I have thought of listing on ebay. It is in perfect shape. I might just try to sell locally if the freight is too high.
    Georgia Manning Lewis
    bucketsgonewild.com

Quote Originally Posted by roseee
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkielover5
    The quality would not be the same.
    = Now, that's a point to be considered!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast