Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Pricing for feather weights?

I agree! But, I would not pay more than $250.

Quote Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    If I saw one for $25.00 I'd jump all over it!!! I hear stories but haven't seen one for myself. $250.00 seemed to be a decent price. some more, some less.

I've gotten good deals at farm/household auctions and rummage sales. Just be sure the bobbin case is in the machine. That seems to be the most missing part. Good Luck. I bought one for $75 and it was in mint condition.

Yep, the bobbin case is one of the first things that gets 'misplaced' I was thrilled to see that mine had one.

If anyone is coming to the Quilt show in Paducah, several vendors have Featherweights and accessories. There is also a company that manufactures a custom sewing table that a Featherweight fits in.

Blog Entries
    The bobbin cases can be easily gotten from parts houses on the internet. It's really not a problem.

I just got a Centennial from eBay, after looking and bidding for several months, paid $350. Case was in excellent shape, had all attachments, and the machine itself was in excellent shape with only a couple of very small scratches on the machine bed. Look at http://www.april1930s.com/html/sewing_machines.html. There's a lot of good info about the featherweight, plus the site has some machines for sale that will give you a good idea what to look for on eBay. They also sell parts and manuals if your doesn't come with one. I am still working on getting the musty smell out of my case, but scrunched up newspaper, changed out daily, seems to be working.

I saw a pristine condition Featherweight today online that was PINK for $900. Did they come in pink or did someone repaint this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    I saw a pristine condition Featherweight today online that was PINK for $900. Did they come in pink or did someone repaint this?
    repaint.

I think repainted.

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have seen them go for 750$ on auction in Minot, ND. I haven't found one yet that I can afford. Will keep looking. My husband and I were in Joann's last night and he said I should get one of the machines they had up front by the door, but of course I didn't look for machines. I was buying fabric for th Moda block and missgigglewings. It will be in the mail tomorrow if I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrother
    I just got a Centennial from eBay, after looking and bidding for several months, paid $350. Case was in excellent shape, had all attachments, and the machine itself was in excellent shape with only a couple of very small scratches on the machine bed. Look at http://www.april1930s.com/html/sewing_machines.html. There's a lot of good info about the featherweight, plus the site has some machines for sale that will give you a good idea what to look for on eBay. They also sell parts and manuals if your doesn't come with one. I am still working on getting the musty smell out of my case, but scrunched up newspaper, changed out daily, seems to be working.
    Also, Put some charcoal briquets in a bowl inside the case that absorbs the odor too..

I don't know if anyone here has shoped Goodwill online..www.shopgoodwill.com, but I've seen some nice ones on there and some have gone as low a $5.00 others up to $300.00. Last week I saw a gorgeous one, in the cabinet, spotless, go for $45.00 at a local auction I like. I guess it just depends on who you're bidding againt.

Here is a website for singer featherweights. http://singer-featherweight.com/site...s/history.html

On this site you can buy featherweights, but they are expensive, and you can get manuals free. There is a lot of information on the featherweights. It is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by patticriss
    I don't know if anyone here has shoped Goodwill online..www.shopgoodwill.com, but I've seen some nice ones on there and some have gone as low a $5.00 others up to $300.00. Last week I saw a gorgeous one, in the cabinet, spotless, go for $45.00 at a local auction I like. I guess it just depends on who you're bidding againt.
    Thanks, I'll try that also.

Featherweights that sell for $200+ should have been serviced by a professional --- IMHO. When looking at a FW, open the bottom and give it a sniff test. If it smells foul, it hasn't been serviced. That smell is from old oil collected on the felt pad. Also run the machine at varied speeds and LISTEN. The machine should hum and have no more than a slight click as the needle/feed dogs move. Sew on a variety of fabrics. The stitches on a FW should be almost perfectly straight. Don't buy it if they're not straight. The machines are easy to self-service if major parts are in good condition, but parts are not cheap. That should factor in to the price.

Someone from the board said to put oder eaters in the case and that would remove the old case smell.

An open dish with vanilla extract in it helps too.

I bought 2 feather weights at an auction for $150 each.
    Sold them in my yard sale for $200 each. If you watch the ads you should be able to easily find one for $200. I have sold many of them for that, by buying them at auctions and yard sales. I only have one left that I am saving for my daughter because it was made the year she was born, 1956. I have so many machines, I buy them and clean them up and sell them. I bought a nice sears machine at a yard sale last week for $10.
    Pauline

I think the colored feather weiths were made in England. I had a green one once. I sold it for $300
    Pauline

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks
    The problem with buying one is, having it serviced. If it has not been serviced recently, it could cost $75 up for cleaning and adjusting.
    I clean and adjust my 0wn.
    Pauline

Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    I will also be watching this topic with interest. I am very interested in purchasing 1 of these beloved little jewels. I want to purchase 1 but don't want to overpay. In addition to taking 1 to quilt class... my husband and I are RVers and I thought this would be the perfect little machine to take with.
    I got mine on ebay last year $225.00 w/ shipping included, i have barely used any of my other machines since. We also have an RV and it's the perfect size to take along

Blog Entries
    There was a nice looking one at the Atlanta Quilt show for just under $300. Didn't get exact price because I'm not in the market unless it's a super bargain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3