Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pricing a new machine >

Pricing a new machine

Pricing a new machine

Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Default Pricing a new machine

I am interested in the Brother Entrepreneur PR655 6 spool embroidery machine. I see the price on the machine and I know Brother is having specials this month. How do I find the regular price to see how good a deal I would be receiving? Anyone have one, what did you pay and do you enjoy the machine. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I don't know why it's so hard to find a price of sewing machines, even in the shops. It's like it's a big secret and only given out on a need to know basis. My guild had two members who bought the same machine each from the same dealer during the same week and each one paid a very different price. She made up the difference of a discount on one by the higher price of the other. The dealing dealer didn't think about the quilters telling about their new machines at Show and Tell. LOL. She lost a lot of business over that mess.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM

I can sure relate. I've been researching machines for two weeks and it's like going into secret FBI files. Then, when I finally found some prices, the dealer told me that those were internet prices and the machines were stripped down. Stripped down means not as many accessories, at first I was envisioning back alley sewing machine deals with missing name plates and no paint!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 PM

It's weird! I went into our only local shop who carry Pfaff machines and inquired about the price on the new Pfaff Performance 5. There were several employees standing around, but apparently the gal who looks after that section of the store was not in that day. I was told that nobody else in the store could quote a price and I should come back when the girl was on duty. Instead of going back, I drive quite a long distance and purchased a different machine elsewhere. Business must be too good these days!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 PM

Naked machines!

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
I can sure relate. I've been researching machines for two weeks and it's like going into secret FBI files. Then, when I finally found some prices, the dealer told me that those were internet prices and the machines were stripped down. Stripped down means not as many accessories, at first I was envisioning back alley sewing machine deals with missing name plates and no paint!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I do not know why this is but it sure is flustrating!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You can always go to Amazon or ebay and see what they are selling them for. They are always cheaper their anyway and you can see what they come with.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

The dealers are feeding you a lot of BS if you believe them. I purchased my machine at a dealer's shop. They tried telling me the same thing. I saw the exact same machine at Wallyworld and had the exact same attachments and accessories. They all come from the same factory with the same warranties as long as the repairs are under warranty and repaired by the expert.
Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM

Specifically, I'm looking at the Janome 7700 and on the internet it is 2400, at the dealer's it is 2700. He told me the 'internet version' had the same warranty, but I would have to ship it to where I bought it from if it needed servicing. This makes no sense to me. I bought a little Bernina 30 years ago and have moved many times since, I never had to send it back to the original dealer to have it serviced. Then he told me that he 'takes care of his customers in more ways than one' - I do not know what that means. This was all over the phone. I'm making the trip on Saturday with my husband to see just what he does offer for 2700! I know dealers want to protect their businesses from the internet, but the scare tactics seem a little far fetched.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Angelai, LOL!