Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pricing out a quilt >

Pricing out a quilt

Pricing out a quilt

Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 AM

I have been posting my quilt tops on facebook for my cousins to see... well I have two that want me to make them quilts.. My friend wants one for her mom because she remembers us all making them at my grammy's house... I do not machine stitch quilt them.. i have a few people that i am going to use... but how do i come up with a cost? my material at the quilt shop is not cheap... plus supplies... I am not lookiing to get rich but the extra money will be greatly used... she wants a queen....... any advise on this?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 AM

When I make quilts for "friends", I take them shopping & let them purchase the fabric. Then, you could take that $ amt. & double it for your labor costs. I don't know what your costs will be to have someone else do the quilting, but that could also be paid by the person receiving the quilt.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
When I make quilts for "friends", I take them shopping & let them purchase the fabric. Then, you could take that $ amt. & double it for your labor costs. I don't know what your costs will be to have someone else do the quilting, but that could also be paid by the person receiving the quilt.
Ditto, most people think fabric and sew supplies are cheep. I recently took my mom with me to get fabric, she couldnt believe the prices. She sewed when I was growing up, she hasnt been shopping for fabric in over 20 years. Why would anyone make there own clothing or anything for that matter is what she said. Then she turned to me and said "And you give these quilts away! Thats a lot of money!"
I've been told to charge my costs to make times three. That makes a baby quilt around $125-$200.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 AM

I would definitely not sew a quilt for less than the advice by DonnaJean. They buy the fabric, notions, double that for your labor, they pay all costs for quilting, all shipping if any. At that rate you aren't making any profit, probably not getting minimum wage.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Double ditto here. Be sure to include YOUR time in the charges. Just realize that the Amish country sells their quilts for from $1000 to $8000.00!!!!!! and if your cousins can't shop with you, have THEM shop and tell you the cost. Include costs of shipping back to them, too!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:26 AM

My brother wanted my first quilt that i posted here in my pictures. i couldn't sell it because it was my first. But he offered me $450 for it and it was just the top part at the time.. he wants me to make him one ...
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

keep track of costs- then you can decide if you want to charge them what it costs you or if you want to make a little extra for your time-
for retail the (recommendation) is cost x 3
but you might not want to charge family members so much-
if you keep good records you can determine what is (fair) or what they can afford.
it really is not possible to make money for your time.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 AM

I have made many bed-size quilts for my IMMEDIATE family and just given them, but I have been asked by several people who see their quilts to make them one-not having a clue what goes into them! Even a good friend kept asking me to make a queen size for their spare bedroom, and offered to pay me-which I accepted-but when I told her how much the fabric was and that I would have to have a LA quilter do it so it would get done quicker, she hesitated. S0, I showed her a couple of books with some quilt kits for that size quilt to see if she liked anything and to show it WAS expensive for just the fabric-BEFORE it even got sewn together and quilted, and she was shocked! I figure she went to Walmart and got one!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 AM

I have only sold one of my quilts, and that was years ago, when monies real tight. I sold it for $300 (it was size of coverlet for double bed). I pretty much feel like the other women have mentioned. Have the person go with U to purchase the fabric and thread, X 3 and then quilting is extra.