Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pricing Quilts to Sell >

Pricing Quilts to Sell

Pricing Quilts to Sell

Old 07-09-2014, 04:02 AM

It is very difficult to make quilted items and sell them for what they are worth. If you just want to sew and get rid of stuff, then go for it. If you want to make money, my advice is forget it. The price of fabric and other necessary supplies make it nearly impossible unless you sew with donated fabrics and supplies.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 AM

I would figure my time, fabric cost, electricity costs, supplies, etc. then give her your price, period. If she says it is too much, that is her issue, not yours, do not sell your talent cheap. You took the time to learn the skills involved, so you should be able to make a profit for each one or forget it. You know she will make a profit and so should you!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by SewingGB View Post
You never recover your labor or time, usually take your basic costs (fabric, batting) and double that. Unless you sew very fast....and I don't...hard to look at a per hour wage recovery. I sell a few purses and home accessories, but do it mostly for fun.
If you never recover your labor or time, what would be the point of even doing it? I'd certainly rather be spending my spare time making things I love rather than just making a few dollars on something I made.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM

do not start with being concerned with her selling cost. First figure the cost of your materials (is there a way to lower these costs such as buying online or a garment district in a major downtown area). Then figure your time. Can you production line a few at a time? At that point you can then figure a cost for the production. When making small items production line (whether it is fabric items, wood product, jewelry etc), you can either do add a 2 - 2 1/2 x's your materials cost or you can figure in an hourly wage. Example (these numbers are just pulled out of the air, don't hold them as actuals)- a mini quilt cost $15 in wholesale materials cost. You can make 3 at a time and it takes you 6 hours to make them. You could charge either $15 plus $30-$40 for each = $45 - $55 per. Or you decide your time is worth $15 per hour. The you would charge $15 plus 2 hours work (3 made in 6 hours) $30, so the cost would be $45. I would calculate both ways and this would give me room to negotiate with the store owner. BUT THE MOST CRITICAL IS TO GET THE AGREEMENT IN WRITING! Even if it is your best friend. Contracts save friendships. I have had a retail store for almost 30 years and have worked with many newbies. And I sell a lot of my work both at the store and online.. Good luck and keep it fun.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

You can't make handmade quilts for wholesale... unless the shop owner has wealthy customers who will pay through the roof! Try and find some outlet to sell directly, like craft fairs or sites online for handmade goods.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
There's an interesting article in the newest Quilters' Newsletter Magazine I got in the mail yesterday about how the underpricing of quilts (they particularly referenced Etsy) makes it harder for all quilters to make a decent price on handmade items.
Etsy sellers are part of that demographic and the lower prices are because there is so much competition there. Just show me where I can go to sell for more and I'll gladly charge it! Does Quilter's Newsletter Magazine have a suggestion?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 PM

If you charge too low of a price, I'd be concerned that if someone wanted a lot of something, you'd not be happy as you churned out all of them for the little bit of profit. Don't undersell yourself.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 PM

Here are some strategies on pricing from SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates). They also work for non-art quilts, so don't discount the article just because your work is more traditional.
http://www.saqa.com/resources.php?ID=2270
Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 PM

I think both you and the store owner are going about this the wrong way.
Try this:- She supplies all fabric, batting, thread for a specific number of quilts. You make the quilts. She pays you an hourly rate. She displays the quilts for sale, at the same time advertising her fabric range with them, which will move some of those same fabrics she supplied. She charges what she wants, not your problem.
This is what I used to do and its a win win all round.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM

I would ask the shop owner how she will pay you for the handmade stuff. Then figure your material cost for the item and decide if you are making enough $$$ when selling to her. Only you can decide how much money you want to make off each item. As for labor - it is your time. Ask yourself what else would I be doing (cleaning?) I make and sell bloomer sets on etsys for $21. my cost to make one is about $5 so I am making about $16 on each one. I am retired so i do not put a price on my time. It take me about 1.5hr to make one So basically I am making $16 on each item and the extra $$$ is nice. As for claiming it as income / taxes. that is up to you especially if she is buying them from you directly and you are not a subcontractor.