Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pricing >

Pricing

Pricing

Old 10-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Just me, but I wouldn't let anyone use my long arm. How much did you pay for your longarm? What if she breaks it? What if she hurts herself?
I agree. Check into your house insurance on liability.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 AM

Oh no, if you wouldn't loan her your car, don't loan her your longarm. Even for money. If you do, be sure to include your time in the mix. You won't be able to leave her alone with the machine and may end up doing it yourself anyway. I'd make an outlandish price for that equal to the price of having someone else do it.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Immediately upon getting my longarm, I had someone try to convince me to rent out time on it, at the rate of $10/hr., and I just said I couldn't, for all the reasons already given. She thought it would be a "win-win" situation for both of us. Not!
Kayiedid, you need to "Katie-Don't"!

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 10-30-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Just me, but I wouldn't let anyone use my long arm. How much did you pay for your longarm? What if she breaks it? What if she hurts herself?
Good points. I wouldn't let anyone use any of my machines. As stated, who is going to pay if the machine is damaged. I hadn't thought of her getting hurt, but that's a good point. There is liability involved. If you do decide to let her rent time on it, make sure that damage to the machine and liability issues are agreed upon in writing before she starts. If she doesn't like that, it should tell you something about her.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Hey all! Thanks for the imput. all valid and good advice! Will consider all before making a decision.... thank you.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:49 AM

The going rate at my LQS is $26 per hour after a certification class ( which is $175). You also need to purchase your own leaders. Customer must also purchase batting.

How well do you know this person? Do you trust her with your machine, and access to your home? How much time do you want to spend with her? These are all considerations you'll need to decide. I have a very good friend who allows me to use her long arm (totally computerized.) for a very nominal fee. The key is that we enjoy spending time together and consider it a 'play day'. She talks of letting me use it when she's out of town, or busy elsewhere, but I'm just not comfortable being in her home when she's not there.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:38 AM

I agree! Too risky!

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
Personally, I would not let anyone else touch an expensive piece of equipment like that. No one ever takes care of your stuff the way you would. Not worth the risk.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

You do not say whether this person is a quilter who has used a long arm machine before or not. The quilt shop I used to go to that had a long arm machine, would not let anyone use it unless they had taken the course in long arm quilting, then I believe it was about $40-$45/hr. and I'm not sure about the batting and thread. Wouldn't it be much simpler for you to just quilt her quilt for her and charge your standard rate? I've always been hesitant to let anyone borrow or use my sewing machines unless I know they know what they are doing, just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I quit loaning things out a long time ago. It always ended up having to be replaced. My DH used to loan the lawn mower to our BIL. I was home one day and going to mow the yard. Mower was gone. BIL loaned it out to a neighbor of his. I called DH who thought it should've been home by the time I got home. When we got it back. The motor was shot because they used the wrong kind of mix of oil. They added gas thinking we wouldn't know. The machine had to be replaced. Over $400 for a new mower at our expense. I got a new lock to put on the shed door. BIL was not happy when we told him he would have to find another way to mow his yard. Good pair of scissors might work. Because of their having no respect for anything borrowed, we shelled out over $1000.00 in replacement or repair. So no more!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 PM

While I would allow my kids or sister to use my machine, with me right there, I sure wouldn't let someone "rent" my machine. I find that even when I change type of threads from the 2 I routinely use, the machine needs adjusting. Then there are all the issues already mentioned.
There are a couple of quilt shops in my area that have machines for rent--after a certification class, etc. But having talked with one owner, their business model includes expenses for repairs, liability insurance, utilities, wear & tear on the machines--none of which I've built into my expenses as a long arm quilter--so figure it' cheaper for me to quilt for someone than t rent my machine!