Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Quilters" do you fall in this category? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22quilters%22-do-you-fall-category-t56462.html)

Miss Mona 07-28-2010 06:57 AM

I guess I am a bit older than the average. My granmother started me sewing and quilting when I was in grade school. Did a little thru the years, bought as I needed. When we moved (my husband was transferred every 2-4 years) gave my fabric to a local church so I didn't have to move it. FInally when he retired to one spot, got my own sewing room, worked for a fabric store, and my sewing room blossomed.
I have enough fabric to make dozens of quilts a year until I am at least 200 years old. Looking and rearranging my stash is therapy. I have notes on dozens of quilts to make, have bags ready with everything needed to make quilts. I even thought ahead and put directions in my bags so I knew what they were for.

ksea 07-28-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by pvquilter
Read this in an article and thought I would share:
Just a few quilting statistics:
*The average age of quilter is 62 years old.
*About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.
*On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.
*A quilter will also have $3700.00 invested in purchased fabric.

Is this you? I know I fall in that category. Give me your thoughts. :lol: :oops: :roll:

I am not close to the age, but I fit the 2nd and 3rd, but have purchased way more than $3700. in fabric

Irishlady 07-28-2010 07:07 AM

Wow, yes to all those requirements. I am 62, I have a dedicated sewing room and over the last few years since I started this hobby I must have spent as much as that, if not more on fabric, notions, machine etc.

klgreene 07-28-2010 07:37 AM

Oh yes, I fall in that catagory....I'm 62 and have been quilting for 30+ years. I'm sure that I've spent that much on material, and every little $2.00 item adds up so even though I had to think if I could have spent that much. It's easy to do. And I'm not done, I want a new machine. So all you young quilters out there, don't be get upset thinking it'll cost that much. It just addes up little at a time, but well worth it. And I actually use two rooms for sewing, one for the actual sewing, one for cutting.

mountain deb 07-28-2010 07:38 AM

Is the price of equipment the new cost or depreciation value? I am shy of the age, but everthing else fits and it is growing.

JudeWill 07-28-2010 07:41 AM

Mostly. Not the fabric. Most of my fabric stash is old. Don't have that much quilting fabric. Pretty new to this, but......I'll get there!

sewweary 07-28-2010 07:53 AM

That describes me to a tee and my children love it, they get the results at Christmas.

AliceQ 07-28-2010 07:54 AM

Well, I'm 59 but that's the closest I come to ANY of them!

Grinster 07-28-2010 08:01 AM

Age is spot on, I quilt in a corner of our living room, have not spent the amt of $ for tools etc due to hubby being laid off 2 yrs ago. Am in my frugal mode these days but still enjoying my quilting time and this site is so helpful. Glad to see the younger quilters! You all rock!

Sewslow 07-28-2010 08:39 AM

Omigosh! I'm way past the age and way under the $8500 -- better start shopping. Don't know about the value of fabric stash but statistically know I'm not going to live long enough to use it all.