Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   $175 Is This a Good Price For a Singer (Added photos in post #6) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%24175-good-price-singer-added-photos-post-6-a-t154380.html)

smitty 09-21-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
The exact machine is on eBay for $245 but no bidders and it is going out in about 40minutes!

too high ! especially with paying postage. 201 is a really, really nice machine. with cabinet $100-175.

smitty 09-21-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by cmilton
Excuse my ignorance. How do you know if it is a real featherweight?

Just by the actual weight? serial number , etc?

Just by looking at it--221 & 301 are the only Singers that
have the left side, drop-down extension table. once you see
& know one, you would never mix them up. they have a
unique bobbin size. search eBay for Singer 221 Featherweight
and look at all of them.

Tinabug 09-21-2011 03:35 PM

I recently bought a 201 in a cabinet and it looks just like this one. I would buy if I were you. It's fun.

phylby 09-21-2011 04:35 PM

Great price. I saw a 1946 in the same shape for $450. :thumbup:

fabric_fancy 09-21-2011 04:38 PM

$175 for a 201 is very expensive. i purchased a stunning 201 in a table with very little damage for $50.

Kyiav10 09-21-2011 04:53 PM

I don't think it is a feather weight. I have one like this in the same type of cabinet though this cabinet is in much better condition than mine. I wouldnt pay 175 dollars for it. I was told a few years ago that treadles are worth 125 dollars.

Kyia

Gerbie 09-21-2011 08:49 PM

Deb that is definitely not a featherweight. The featherweight looks like the picture that MILate posted on the first page of this thread. I have two FW's, and that is NOT a FW. The FW has a hinged extension table that lifts up so the machine can be put into is's carrying case. The weigh 11 pounds. The feather weight does not have a top loading bobbin.The bobbin on FW is at the left end as you face the machine under the hinged table extension. The FW can fit into a special table made for them if you cand find one. It looks like a card table with a cutout for the machine to fit into. I am not into the vintage machines, and can not tell you what this one is, but I know it is definitely NOT a FW. Keep looking if you are wanting a FW. That would be a good price for a FW.
AS someone else posted you can go on ebay and type in singer featherweights into the search and you will usually see a couple or more pages of pictures of FWs. Most are black, they also came in white, tan and a weird green to me anyway. If you find other colord ones, someone has painted them. Hope this helps dear.

Feathers-N-Fur 09-21-2011 09:16 PM

Price is relative. Here, vintage machines are NEVER lower than $50, in rough condition. I have seen these machines go for $250 if they are in perfect condition. I don't know about your area, but don't think that just because someone else got theirs cheep, that you will too. Go to Craigslist for your area then go to arts+crafts, then do a search for Singer. That will tell you what prices are like in your area. Then you will know if the price is high or not.

roxie623 09-21-2011 10:12 PM

As others have said it sounds like a 201. It's great for quilting as the harp space is larger than others. The price is on the high side so I would make an offer and see what happens.

danece 09-21-2011 10:14 PM

This is a great price, but it is not a featherweight, featherweights have a folding section on the flat part of the machine bed, I'd buy it anyway :thumbup: , But then again I have a thing for sewing machines I own about 8 of them