Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4 yd-----WOF (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4-yd-wof-t188577.html)

quiltmom04 05-11-2012 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5207011)
If I need 9" of fabric, I NEVER get just 1/4 yard. 1/3 yard just costs a smidgen more. Even getting a 1/3, you have to watch to see that both ends are cut straight.

I agree. Unless its so peculiar I can't IMAGINE ever using it again, I get 1/2 yd. Then there's some left over in case I screw up, or at least for a scrap quilt, or another project.

jeaninmaine 05-11-2012 11:52 AM

I used to stand there while they cut it and if the beginning edge wasn't right, I'd ask her to straighten it up so I'll get a full quarter yard. I don't see why I should have to pay double to get the cut I want. Nowadays I get most of my fabric online from Connecting Threads and they've been good.

Latrinka 05-11-2012 03:23 PM

I usually always buy more than I need. The only time I buy 1/4 yd. is if I'm just gonna make yo-yo's.

burchquilts 05-11-2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by An Arm Long (Post 5206890)
I've had that same thing happen. I always buy 1/4 to 1/2 yard extra anyway for shrinkage when I wash and for squaring up.

Me, too, tho the "cutters" around here are usually pretty good about making sure you get the full width.

Jingle 05-11-2012 06:52 PM

I always buy several yards at a time, never buy small pieces unless its a remanent, then I just use it for scrappy quilts, or to go with something to match some I already have. Out of all the fabrics I have I don't think I have gotten but a few bad cuts.

Rose_P 05-11-2012 10:23 PM

It seems to me that in the shops I go to, both the chain stores and the LQS, the clerks are trying to do a conscientious job. I just expect some shrinkage and buy a little more than I need. Some patterns will state that they are allowing for shrinkage and the yardage given is generous, so that's another consideration to look for.

This thread reminded me of something we were taught in sewing class in the dark ages. When you bought new fabric, you not only washed it (which at that time might have still included wringers in some people's homes, followed by flapping on a clothes line), but when it was almost dry there was one more step: You would get a helper and the two of you would pull the corners to get the weave back into proper alignment. Apparently, way back when, that was just the norm, but store clerks who didn't cut carefully along the grain could expect to lose business.

QM 05-11-2012 10:57 PM

I buy most of my fabric at 2 places that are VERY careful. I would have no qualms about insisting on getting what I am paying for, but that's me. At the price of fabrics, one should get what one is paying for. That said, I always buy a bit extra because I know I make errors too.

Yooper32 05-12-2012 03:03 AM

Right!!!!!!!!!

kimbrennan 05-12-2012 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by sherryl57 (Post 5209169)
I absolutely would NOT put up with that.They have to cut pretty straight .At $10.00 a yard,I will get what I pay for.I don't expect more,but I want what I pay for.

In what other store would any of you take less than you pay for?? Gallon of milk, gas.....head of lettuce, sweater...hmmmmmmmm...why oh why would you allow it at the fabric store?

Just keep reminding yourself.."I AM THE CUSTOMER" "I AM THE REASON YOU ARE HERE AND HAVE A JOB"

Natalie17 05-12-2012 05:18 AM

Why not watch when they cut the fabric and suggest they straighten it before cutting your piece / I have had to do that and it didn't cause a problem for the cutter , and I was happy too .